• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More weatherproof storage, my version....

M1key

This last weekend we took the truck camping, so I finally had some alone time with the truck.

Really like my truck setup, but dry tool/equipment storage is kind of a problem for me. Putting items in the shelter is just not feasible, there are 5 of us sleeping in it! The onboard toolbox is always full. I have a rear toolbox from a 5 ton tractor but have not found a place for it yet. So I had an idea for some other green junk I just had to have.

I picked up these 155mm Howitzer propellant tubes at the Iola MV show (also available on-line). They have approx 6"x23" of usable space inside. Nice camlock rubber gasketed lid. There is at least 1 other style of tube like this, but it is longer and smaller in diameter.
DSC05070.JPG
It took me a while to come up with a location to put these, then I had an idea..
How about on the forward mud flap support brackets. (will not seem to work on the rear brackets on my truck)
DSC05072.JPGDSC05074.JPGDSC05075.JPG

Just drilled 2 1/4" holes through the support and into the tube. I needed to use a right angle drill to do it. (still need to add lockwashers or nylock nuts and a little rtv or silicone caulk to water proof it) Used 1/4-20 bolts about 1" to 1 1/4" long.

Sticks out maybe 1/2" past bed at most.
I think they can be locked pretty easily.
DSC05076.JPGDSC05073.JPG
It went so well I put one on the pass. side.

When I got home It was time to fill them.
Drivers side:
1/2" x 14' chain with slip/grab hooks.
1/2" x 6' chain with grab hook.
I've been looking for a good home for these for a while.
When you pull the hook out and let it go it "self unloads" onto the ground all by itself. Gravity is pretty neat.

Pass side:
Tankers tool bag containing:
1 pair of 1" towbar feet
1 pair of old style double sided 3/4" and 1" towbar feet.
Misc spare towbar pins.

As a side note,
I keep my towbar under the bed strapped to the frame, right behind the front of the bed. I have driven through 3 rain storms and it hasn't gotten wet yet.

I know this should have been put in the mod/hotrodding forum, but I want everyone to see this! It almost looks original, especially when it gets CARC'd!

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks