• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mosler, SAFE -FILING CABINET

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I had some safe/cabinets similar to that in the service. I had hanging file folders in mine (Pendaflex) I believe was the name.

Our locks were X07's very high dollar digital readout numbers. If it's a Sargent and Greenleaf lock you may need a local locksmith to look at it or worse case replace it. More than likely you have the wrong combo. The units I was in were horrible with safe combo handling. Just a thought.

Isaac-1

I have one that came from GL that is a Diebold, probably one generation older than yours (made in the 1960's), with it after dialing the last digit in the combination you turn the dial back to zero then turn the knob in the middle of the dial the lock. There is a video on youtube from a gun safe maker showing how to use an S&G lock, which way to turn it and how many times to skip each number.

Ike
ps note all the videos I have found on youtube are of the group 2 locks, if yours is like mine it has a group 1 lock with an additional release lever in the middle of the dial.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

This is a GL buy. I have two problems. First Getting the combination to work (L50 4x - R25 3x - L50 2x). second is there any way of using hanging folders? They just don't seem to fit. Thanks Hey its Military surplus. Great cabinets
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=179901&stc=1&d=1272744652
You might want to try dropping one number off of 50-25-50. ie 49-24-49.

Did the safe come with the change key?

Give this Sargent and Greenleaf Lock Help site a look as they have some good info available.

LanceRobson

The fact that the drawers are secured open gives me great hope that they are correctly set to the industry (and military) standard storage combination of 50-25-50.

Most of those, particularly the ones from the last 30 years, had Mosler 302 od 302K locks. They are a lot smoother than the S&G and Diebold locks of the era. In any case markmontana is likely on the right track. It can be hard to explain but most folks would have called it 3-2-1. Also, when you get hit each number you need to pause for a second and when done with the second "50" you need to turn the knob back to "0" and pause for a second to let the latch pawl fall into the notches in the three tumblers. Then you continue CW to around 90 or 85 before the latch pulls the locking bars in. No pause=no open.

In any case, turn the lock knob at least 4 full revs in either direction before trying to open it.

This is the 1989 version of the instructions for military combination locks

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/NAVFAC/DMMHNAV/1013_8.pdf

It is likely from the correct era for your safes.

If you need any more help, PM or post and I'll try to keep an eye on the thread. In another life I spent three years as a battalion an S-2 NCO and had a lot of experience with these. If you have key change locks I should be able to find a combination change key around here someplace. They also pop up on ebay. The last time I bought one for the safe I donated to my sportsmens club it cost about $15.

Most office supply places sell the steel frames to hang hanging files on and they fit fine. I've got one 2 hour fire safe and two standard filing cabinet safes and have hanging file frames in all of them.

Lance

PeterD

This is a GL buy. I have two problems. First Getting the combination to work (L50 4x - R25 3x - L50 2x). second is there any way of using hanging folders? They just don't seem to fit. Thanks Hey its Military surplus. Great cabinets
Can't quite see the lock, but the combination change suggested above may work. You know you probably have to turn it back to the right to zero after dialing the combination to lift the locking pin, right? At least on mine it is that way: First number, second number, third number, back to zero, where it will catch and lock just past zero as it pulls up the locking bar.

These things are a PITA to work with, and a PITA to unlock (hate opening mine!) and offer limited security, but if you have it already opened, you are one gigantic step ahead of the game (mine was locked when I got it, and I had to drill it and put in a new lock).

See if you can find out what lock you have as several were used in those cabinets. If it is the same as mine, I probably can get you through getting it locked.

BTW, those locks are standardized, and you can replace it with a new one, digital if you want. Many locksmiths, if friendly, will give you a lock for free, as there is no market for them anymore.

Oh, and the cabinet doesn't really offer much security. There is a device (basically a computer driven combination dialer, that will open any of them in a maximum of 24 hours--it just dials every possible combination until it unlocks. THen a small display reads the combination that worked! :wink:

48cj2a

I can't quite make out the lock from the picture angle. Can you take an picture of the actual lock and one of the backside behind the panel.

Since they are open all you need is patience if you have the change key, I have a few from upgrading locks to X0-7 series so if I know the model I could see if one I have would work.

Also on the X07 locks if you have access to the back you can reset with the serial number of the lock and the chane pin key.

As for the haning folders , yes there are sheet metal adapters that fit the top of the drawers and are bent in such a way the catch the hanging file hooks.

Also do you fully understand how to open the lock with the combo?

Spin the dial several times counter clock wise stopping on the first number...

Spin the dial clock wise 2 times stopping the third time around on the second number...

Spin the dial counter clock wise one time stopping the second time around on the last number.

Now spin the dial clock wise to zero and slightly push in if you can then continue until the dial stops. It should now release the bolt hand to turn. (not all the S&Gs have the push in part but some do)

PM me if you would like to email me directly for help. I've got nearly 30 yrs experience with GSA safes from an operations point not a lock smith.

Last edited:

hogi

Mosler MRK 302 file cabinet

I just bought a Mosler MRK 302 file cabinet and I'm stuck....
I was told it was reset to default values but I can't open it.
Please watch my youtube video- Is the sequence correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnA2B9zSSg

Thanks,
hogi

I can't quite make out the lock from the picture angle. Can you take an picture of the actual lock and one of the backside behind the panel.

Since they are open all you need is patience if you have the change key, I have a few from upgrading locks to X0-7 series so if I know the model I could see if one I have would work.

Also on the X07 locks if you have access to the back you can reset with the serial number of the lock and the chane pin key.

As for the haning folders , yes there are sheet metal adapters that fit the top of the drawers and are bent in such a way the catch the hanging file hooks.

Also do you fully understand how to open the lock with the combo?

Spin the dial several times counter clock wise stopping on the first number...

Spin the dial clock wise 2 times stopping the third time around on the second number...

Spin the dial counter clock wise one time stopping the second time around on the last number.

Now spin the dial clock wise to zero and slightly push in if you can then continue until the dial stops. It should now release the bolt hand to turn. (not all the S&Gs have the push in part but some do)

PM me if you would like to email me directly for help. I've got nearly 30 yrs experience with GSA safes from an operations point not a lock smith.

Isaac-1

I will leave the question of the dialing to someone with more experience using these cabinets, however I can tell you the one I have seemed to spin with resistance at random points, but would not function to unlock the drawer. Thankfully mine was stored with the locking drawer blocked open. I ended up replacing the lock with a modern drop in replacement S&G ditigal keypad lock (about $100-$150 on ebay). The original lock was an R (radiation)series S&G lock which used plastic wheels to prevent someone from x-raying it to determine the combination. This plastic became brittle with age and the keyway on the shaft ended up shattering, I don't know when it happened on mine, but suspect it was due to vibration in transit to GL or after I picked it up, since it was obviously opened without drilling and had markings showing it had been in use up to the year before I bought it.

Ike

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mosler has good customer service. You might try calling them.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the Mosler safe I got, it was necessary to keep turning the dial past zero on the last revolution, all the way to 78-80 before it would unlock. If it's already open, you should be able to get a locksmith to get it working again fairly quickly.

48cj2a

Don't know if it will make a difference but I always start the clearing spin cycle counter clockwise stopping on the first number.

On your last number and then turning back to zero...once you reach zero push in on the lock dial to release the lock internally and continue the turn clockwise and the dial should actually stop around 85. Then you can throw the bolt.

I just went and tried this again to verify and worked as described.

M923driver

Are yours the "old style" mechanical dials or the electoronic digital LCD dials? I bought one from GL with the LCD dial and it takes some getting used to. You turn the dial and the number slowly comes to the setting. It doesn't have a set number of turns and is easy to overshoot the number. After the last number is reached, you must turn the dial the opposite way until it displays "OP". Works great, but totally different from a standard safe. You must also pause for a second on each number as someone above explained to allow the tumblers to drop.

48cj2a

Are yours the "old style" mechanical dials or the electoronic digital LCD dials? I bought one from GL with the LCD dial and it takes some getting used to. You turn the dial and the number slowly comes to the setting. It doesn't have a set number of turns and is easy to overshoot the number. After the last number is reached, you must turn the dial the opposite way until it displays "OP". Works great, but totally different from a standard safe. You must also pause for a second on each number as someone above explained to allow the tumblers to drop.

I'm still using both types in the service. The (X07 black and X09 gray) locks have a built in generator to power up the LCD display. Spinning them several times turns on the display.

Turn the dial several times counterclockwise and stop on the first number
Turn clockwise to the next number
Turn counterclockwise to the last number
Turn clockwise toward zero until the OP displays and the dial actually will stop
Turn the bolt handle and open the drawer/vault door

Little trick if your just miss your number by a few digits you can slowly back dial to the number and then resume the rest of the combo.

If you get the lightning bolt then start over and clear the combo by several CCW revolutions

If you need any assistance with changing the combo let me know. These locks also have a supv mode and a two person combo mode that can be set as well.

Kloakndagr

I remember when I "tried" to change our units safe combos, door was locked with classified still inside. Couldn't get it opened and had to have the lock shop drill out the safe. Two days later, one pissed off commander, one not so happy lock smith and me having to promise to never attempt to change the combos without the lock shop present to assist. I was stuck guarding the safe for two days. I thought it was funny, then I got deployed to Saudi, I wasn't laughing anymore!...but my commander was.

ryan77

I know a guy from the old neighborhood who could open that in 5 mins! Hes doing a dime down in Atlanta at the moment!

Triple C

I don't have any experience with safes from the military but I was in banking for 22 years and EVERY safe we used required turning the dial in the opposite direction from the last number until it stops - but they weren't digital. Hope you get it opened.

johnray13

Those look like X07 locks. You do not need to pass the numbers. Start by spinning to the left (counter clockwise) several times to power up. After several CC full rotations, stop at 50 and pause for a moment (take your hand off the dial). Then turn right until you see 25 (the first time), pause and take your hand off the dial. Then left to you see 50 (the first time) pause and take your hand off the dial. Then turn right, you should see "OP", keep turning right until you hear and feel the lock mechanism release (it is unmistakeable). Sometimes it is no more than a quarter turn, other times it can be several full revolutions

Also the numbers can be jumpy. If you accidentally pass a number, just keep going around until you see it again . If you pass the number and have to get it the second time around, it won't matter and doesn't change the sequence.

You'll only get three attempts before it will lock you out for about 15 minutes or so. If at any time you get the lightening bolt, you messed up and need to start over with several full CC rotations.

Good luck,
John

storeman

Oh, and the cabinet doesn't really offer much security. There is a device (basically a computer driven combination dialer, that will open any of them in a maximum of 24 hours--it just dials every possible combination until it unlocks. THen a small display reads the combination that worked! :wink:[/QUOTE]

If someone is in my house working 24 hours on a combination, I'm likely 23 hours and 59 minutes dead.

Jerry :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks