• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor Blown....Advice Needed

beckel

Really bad night tonight....

Almost one year to the day since I received my 1992 HMMWV and I believe that the motor has thrown a rod. I have two rather large holes in the oil plan and the starter was struck by the rod and consequently broke the transmission mounting points.

I am considering a 6.5 Optimizer and 4L80 transmission. Can someone please comment on approximately how long it takes to remove and replace the engine and transmission. I recognize that I will also need to shorten the driveshaft and replace the shifter with a 4 spd OD shifter.

Just wondering about how big of a job this is likely to be.

Thanks for any advice!

jdknech

sorry to hear of your misfortune, I opted to swap out my blown 6.2 with a turbo 6.5 out of a van.. I haven't removed the engine from my hmmwv yet, but I plan to start on it Tuesday night.. good luck! ill be watching to see what you decide to do!

kfrosty

You've got to do more than that. You'll need a wiring harness to hook up the 4L80e which are kind of pricey. Or you'll need one of the a Transmission Control system such as from
USShift. (Most of the wiring harnesses that come with the 6.5 optimizer take outs have been cut.)

There is a stick for this forum with a link to the swap.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152874-Lots-of-Questions-about-4L80E-Swaps

The job is going is going to be as big or as small as your experience. I've got two to do when I finally get the wiring harnesses. I've been waiting 3+ months for them.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a government rebuilt 6.2 in New Mexico if you decide you don't want to go through all the hassle of the 6.5 and 4l80e upgrade.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would only swap in the 4L80e if you routinely need/wish to drive over 55 mph. With all due respect to jdknech's plan of action, dropping in a pull out GEP 6.5 is the way to go. The GEP engines are not 16+ years old like the tired GM engines and are not subject to cylinder wall cracks.

beckel

Thanks alot guys. Took another look today and there really is no salvaging either the motor or the trans. I am definitely going to go with a late model/low mileage 6.5 GEP and I do drive the truck regularly at 55 so having the 4L80 with park would be a nice upgrade. The one I am looking at has the trans controller but not sure if the wire harness has been cut. I will check that out.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guaranty its cut.
They don't have the time to do the extra work to remove body properly which needs to be done.
you'll need trans X member, rear and mid drive shafts, maybe rear diff. yoke, dual brake light switch, shifter .

tage

Cheapest option would be to replace with a stock engine. 6.5 optimizer is the most preferred. A few members have them laying around and will let them go for a fair price.
Turbo 400's are one of the easiest transmissions to work on. I would find a good core casing if yours is trashed. I bet you can tig those mounts back on though.

beckel

Here are a few shots of the oil pan.....does this look like a rod went through each side of the pan? Not sure what else could have done this much damage.IMG_20160925_114542.jpgIMG_20160925_114604.jpgIMG_20160925_115219.jpg

Tornadogt

yep a dead dog...... How does the rest of the truck look?? Fix or pass it on and get another one..... I'll give you $1000.00 for your parts truck. Really I am just picking on you, I have a HMMWV waiting on the EUC to clear, when I get it I am planing on doing a engine/trans/tranfer case swap from a 2001-2007 GM 3/4 ton truck.. (6.0 gas/4L80/np261) The engine/trans I take out will be available but at this point there conditions is unknown..