• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

motor life span

tracy

they say the 5.9 cummins is good for 300k, i was wondering how
many miles the multi fuel is good for with reg. maint.
Tracy,,,,,,,,,

Rolling_Eudaimonia

You can rebuild an engine way past the 300k mark... It depends on what you do to it. I mean if you make it a fire-breathing multi-fuel engine cranking out 1200 hp or something absurd like that it will die a horrible death at some not to distant feature point. However, if you keep on rebuilding the engine to factory specs it will last a very long time probably 600-900miles before it sees serious problems.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Re: RE: motor life span

MoAllen said:
Yes but how many miles for a stock engine before rebuilding. I for one would not know how to rebuild one.
Allen
That I don't know but I would bet that a LDT-465-1D or C can last for about 250-300K before needing a serious overhaul. Rebuilding shouldn't be hard, new custom cam, new valves, new rings etc... Then perhaps a new IP and you're good to go.

fstfrdy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: motor life span

not sure on the multi fuel but road diesels you can buy everything in a kit and they are not real hard to rebuild cause you remove the cylinder sleeves then intall new ones with matching pistons and rings. i have seen a diesel( the one i currently drive for work) log 1 million miles before a rebuild. it currently is at 1.3 million and going strong. one of our other truck are quickly closing on1.8 million miles. but because of the multi design it would be kind of hard to guess

jasonjc

All depend on how hard it was used. I'm haveing to replace the fly wheel clucth and presure plate in a truck with only 13,000 miles on it. I bet the transmission was bad too, but it did not come with the truck so I have no idea on it. Now my 1/2ton pickup is at 230,000 with the 350 chevy in it and all i've done to it is plugs and wires.

SasquatchSanta

Because of the inverted oil filters and therefore dry starts the multi doesn't have the best longivety record. Seems like I read in a previous post that 50K on a multi is about average. These engines are also extremely high compression which doesn't help. They were also driven by young fire pi$$ing GIs that worked then like borrowed mules.

Having said this, IMHO if you eliminate the dry starts and don't lug them under 1,600 RPM or rev them over 2,200 they should last a long time --- as long as you want to play truck

It's a crap shoot.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

On the road, I run about 2400 rpm, and plan to change oil often. I reckon even worst case scenario the engine should last 100,000 miles. So, if I put an average of 2,500 miles a year on this truck of mine, I think it might outlast me.

Guess I better stock up on filters, for the day 20 years from now when they are not available. :)

Mark3395

What's the highest mileage anybody out there has personally seen?

That's a hard question because of the many engine changes common on the deuce and the short time most servicemen are linked to a vehicle.

jatonka

Mad Dog, your spin on filters will be available for a VERY long time cause there are multiple uses for the filter I chose for the adaptor. And your faster oil pressure will help the life expectantcy of your low mile Multi Fuel engine. JT

sgtrisk

I thought I read somewhere (on SS?) that it's not so much the miles, as it is the HOURS on the engine. I thought someone said over 1,000 hours was probably looking at a rebuild?? I would hope that one could get substantially more than that out it.

Just an excercise in math: 100,000 highway miles, at 50 mph = 2,000 hours on the clock. Assuming that you are running 2300 RPM to make 50 mph, that should equal 2300 hours on the tachometer (if my math is correct, and assuming the tachometer uses 2000 RPM as the time/rate standard). So... 500,000 miles would be around 11,500 hours! Hmmm...

devilman96

Oil change intervals should be 1000M MAX!!! If you are over 30k you are pushing for the classic MF rod ejection program...

I would think 50k is possiable with tight PM but I dont ever think its be PROVEN to happen as whom knows when the engine in one's truck was installed and what the mileage actually is/was when it went to auction.

The oil filtration system on the truck is why... very simply put... it sucks.

Change your oil OFTEN, upgrade your filtration system (go search there are a million threads on this topic.. as there is THIS topic)... run synthetic oil and do oil sampling EVER TIME!!!!!

Alex400

jatonka said:
Mad Dog, your spin on filters will be available for a VERY long time cause there are multiple uses for the filter I chose for the adaptor. And your faster oil pressure will help the life expectantcy of your low mile Multi Fuel engine. JT
So the purpose of your adapters, is so that you can use an oil filter with an anti-drain valve and be able to use a much more readily available filter. Is that correct? I think this and the muffler would be first things I want to do to my deuce when I get it.

Jones

RE: Re: motor life span

A couple of guys in the Cummins club have 1,000,000+ miles on their 5.9s. Thanks in a large part to religious adherance to maintenance schedules and not being heavy-handed with them. They don't need to be babied; just treated right.
The UP demands 1,000,000+ miles out of their EMD 20V710s between majors or diesel shop foremen are on the carpet to explain why.

JasonS

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: motor life span

SasquatchSanta said:
Because of the inverted oil filters and therefore dry starts the multi doesn't have the best longivety record. Seems like I read in a previous post that 50K on a multi is about average. These engines are also extremely high compression which doesn't help.
The multifuel doesn't have any higher compression than a modern diesel.

What is the typical failure mode?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: motor life span

The most common failure mode that I've seen is a rod through the block. Let's face it guys, most of us drive our trucks way faster than they were designed. Assuming your truck is stock, if you are driving 55 mph, you are driving your deuce too fast. Just because it will do it...does not mean it should be doing it. Personally, I try to stay right at 50 mph on the highway.

With regard to the motors being worn out at 1,000 hours, I completely disagree. Most of the trucks coming out have near, at or above 1,000 hours.

JasonS

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: motor life span

BKubu said:
The most common failure mode that I've seen is a rod through the block. Let's face it guys, most of us drive our trucks way faster than they were designed. Assuming your truck is stock, if you are driving 55 mph, you are driving your deuce too fast. Just because it will do it...does not mean it should be doing it. Personally, I try to stay right at 50 mph on the highway.

With regard to the motors being worn out at 1,000 hours, I completely disagree. Most of the trucks coming out have near, at or above 1,000 hours.
Is the rod breaking due to stress, the rod bolts stretching, the bearing wearing out, or ?

Seems like there has to be a way of preventing this.