• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor Replacement

choll

Im getting a replacement motor put in my 09, how many hours shout it take the mechanic to pull old one and put in the new one in. He needs to pull the IP and put it on the new motor.

Chuck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Way too many unanswered questions here.

Has the mechanic ever pulled and replaced a CUCV engine?

Has he ever replaced the IP or worked on a CUCV engine?

Is he going to pull the engine and transmission in one shot? In my opinion it's easier to do that than try to realign the transmission with the engine hanging on a hoist.

You have to disconnect all linkage and electrics and then unbolt the engine/transmission. The radiator and metal grill will have to be pulled to make it easier to get the engine out without damaging the radiator.

It will depend on the mechanics skill and if he is used to swapping engines.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:tigger:

Way too many unanswered questions here.

Has the mechanic ever pulled and replaced a CUCV engine?

Has he ever replaced the IP or worked on a CUCV engine?

Is he going to pull the engine and transmission in one shot? In my opinion it's easier to do that than try to realign the transmission with the engine hanging on a hoist.

You have to disconnect all linkage and electrics and then unbolt the engine/transmission. The radiator and metal grill will have to be pulled to make it easier to get the engine out without damaging the radiator.

It will depend on the mechanics skill and if he is used to swapping engines.
I would say it's easier to pull just the motor because of the transfer case attached to the transmission .

Crash_AF

Why? The transfer comes right along with the transmission. When I put the engine in my 1009, I did it as a complete unit Engine/Trans/Transfer and used my wrecker. I had it out and back in in a weekend.

I also pulled the entire front clip as a unit and yanked the wiring harness from the firewall.

Later

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why? The transfer comes right along with the transmission. When I put the engine in my 1009, I did it as a complete unit Engine/Trans/Transfer and used my wrecker. I had it out and back in in a weekend.

I also pulled the entire front clip as a unit and yanked the wiring harness from the firewall.

Later
So instead of 6 transmission bolts and 4 torque convertor bolts that have to come off anyway , you pulled the front clip .
Seems like a whole lot of extra work.

Crash_AF

I think it was 9 bolts, maybe a dozen, and the front clip comes off. Then you don't have fenders and inner fenders in the way as you're working. The wiring harness at the firewall for the the headlights comes out with the same bolt as the one for the engine harness, and you're draining the radiator anyway. I didn't see that as that much extra work to not have to work around the fenders and core support.

To each his own on methods used to get the engine out. My comment was that the transfer case shouldn't be a factor in yanking a complete power train assembly.

Stonepicker1

CUCV engines are easy to do.

He should be able to pull it in 6 hours if he has the right tools and knows what he is doing( not just a hammer, saw, adjustable wrench, a rope and tree) lol.

Injector pump swap...give him 2 hours max.

Replace the engine back in the truck...8 hours(includes road test and checking for leaks or something that was missed).

I have a few rebuild threads. I never pull the transmission with the engine.

Search: Florida CUCV dually rebuild. or CUCV-II Florida rebuild.

choll

Great info everybody Im still overseas and the mechanic was a friend of a friend. He works for GM and does side work on weekends. He has a full blow shop with 3 lifts. He builds race cars and jeeps on the weekends. When I talk to him he seemed very reliable and trustworthy. He gave me references. He started his career as a diesel mechanic at Ford.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks