• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

motorsource review cucv m1009

Sajer

tried to post last night from superbowl party, but it appears the post never made it?

Again, i have no affiliation with this company.

Ok, so i went up to motorsource after finding them online and discussing what they had and what the prices were. I found the prices fair compared to what I had been seeing on the web recently and decided to take a trip up there. I hoodwinked my girlfriend into driving up there with, silly her she thought we were going to chicago for a day of shopping, little did she know we would be driving around in old smelly trucks!!!! But, of course she was a good sport and found them pretty cool in her words.

So we get up to motor source 2 weeks ago and go in and talk with Jeff, who i had been talking to and emailing. We went over what they had and he tossed me some keys and said take your time and look them over and drive any of them you want.

I started with the two units they had out front, one had some dents and the other was in solid shape. Each unit, as all of them did that i looked at, had little to no rust on them. The no rust to me was a huge issue as most of the ones i had been bidding on had some form of rust that would need attention. And when i say little rust, i mean minor things like surface floor rust or edges of bumper where paint was missing.
The dented unit had 90k on her and did have the rear sliders. It started right up with little smoke and idled up nicely. I saw no leaks and saw no leaks from tranny or transfer cases.
It drove nicely with tight steering and no clicks or clacks from the 4 wheel drive. I tested all the lights as well and the tranny shifted well into a top speed of 60 mph down the highway. All gages appeared to work and brakes worked well. Nice truck other than a few dents.

We then looked at the one next to it, but i saw that it was missing the blackoutlight switches so we moved on. We looked at another plain green one with 50k on her and very clean underneath. She started right up, but was leaking some coolant from a hose leading into the firewall. Not a big deal. Test drive went well and was again a very tight truck. The only negative was it pulled a little to the right when i braked hard. Tranny was good, not like my Honda or anything, but smooth enough to me. I liked this truck minus the coolant leak which i told to Tim their lot guy(?) when I got back. He said he would take care of it.

Next up was the initial truck out front with the newer optima batteries. Jeff indicated the truck had them in it and he had done nothing with them, though he has had a few that needed replacement batteries from time to time. As I went back out intot he 12 degree weather Tim the lot guy had stated the truck already. I did notice he jumped it though , which was a concern. I took the truck for a drive and noticed the fuel gage was not working, but the truck road very well and sounded much smoother than the previous two. I then took the truck down to targets lot, like i did the others, and messed around with the 4wheel drive and brakes, and lights, and transmission, and it worked great. my girlfriend even stated that this truck was quieter than the other two and she liked it. I did to, other than the toggle switches and the jump. Truck did not leak a drop of anything and all seals looked good. We got back to lot and turned her off and then tried to restat and nothing. I talked with Tim and Jeff and they said they would look her over.

I then started up 4 other units including the sand unit that was a bit more money. Sand unit was nice, but belts were squeeling and it was more than what i wanted to pay so i moved on.
All units were in good shape , other than some dust, and all but one started right up on the first try. Oh and none of them had spare tires tho one had a jack in it.

The camo unit started a bit hard, but ran , but i passed on it as the start up and idle was a little rougher than the others i had run. Overall the truck was nice in appearance and no leaks were found or seen. Could have just been the weather as it was 12 out that day.

I tried one other unit, again plain green, and it had the manual glow plug. It started right up, remember it was 12 degrees out, and idled well. However, it had a coolant leak also and what appeared to be a minor fuel leak. So again I had three trucks to choose from in my mind and the one with the dents was number 3 on the list.

So I left that day after talking with Jeff and Tim about some issues i had and said i would return. After researching a few things I called Jeff back a few ays later. He indicated that the one unit had a starter relay that they replaced and the truck was running well. I pondered a few things and said i would make another trip up to him and the units i had looked at after some research.

I arrived at motorsource again and didnt see the truck! I went in and Jeff told me he had set it aside for me as they had sold two more trucks and he felt this one was the better of the three. So we went for a drive again and with cash in hand we discussed price. Jeff came down a bit from the initial price of $3750, again cash in hand talks, and we signed the deal. Howver, dont expect a lot of haggle room. I then loaded it up and jeff gave me a deisel additive for free as he said he has used it in his cucv and the guys there use them also and it seemed to help. Just stp stuff for deisels. It had a half a tank in it as i found out when i gassed her up and off we went.

Made it home about 150 miles and got 20mpg. Truck ran well, but 65 to 70 is about tops i would say. At one point i was doing 75, but she ran better at 65. A little bit of shake when i hit some potholes, but nothing major. Drove straight, but the heat seemed to drop off when i ran above 60 mph with a heavy crosswind? These 6.2 l are not barn burners by any means!!!

So the question is would i do this again with motorsource? Yes , i would. I felt Jeff was easy to deal with and he was as honest as he could be about trucks he didnt know all that well. The trucks were in better shape than what I anticipated especialy after what i saw online. If i had the cash and room i would buy another from him in a heart beat. Granted im just getting into this truck and im sure i will have some issues sooner rather than later, but overall very pleased with the truck and the guys at motorsource.

If I have missed anything please ask. I took a few pics in my work lot today at lunch and will post them to this thread in a bit. I have a meeting to go into, dang work always interfering with my fun!

Thanks

chris

Sajer

Oh yeah , like i have said before i felt seeign and touching the truck has value to a buyer such as myself as opposed to auctions.

Also, the speedometer broke halfway home and acted goody, but the miles clicked off ok as i talked with my girlfriend as we drove down the highway.

OL AG '89

Want a perfect truck after the Military has "given" it away?

I am curious about your comments. It is funny that you are looking for a perfect 25 yr old vehicle, O.k. maybe not perfect, but pretty close. I have purchased two M1009's in the past year 1 from GSA and one from a SS member, thanks Warthog!
My point is, these trucks were used sparingly by the military. I know I spent 20+ yrs in TXARNG and we used ours once a month, and continuously for 2 weeks in the summer, if we had money for fuel..... thanks governor!
I was a 63Y, 63N (light wheel and track vehicle mech) for the first 5 yrs and had an armory full of these M1009's and M1008's.
They were well taken care of, when we had the moneyfor parts..... thanks governor!! they were also never "abused" as we didn't have replacements and a driver would never "pee on his own horse"
So what's my point?
I think you paid a little much, IMHO, but if you think you got a good deal, then you're happy.
I don't know anything about motorsports, other than they sound like a buy cheap and sell high outfit, I never have a problem with something making a profit, but we're talking about OLD vehicles, that were at one point turned out to pasture (civilian use) without any PMCS or T.M.'s to keep them going.
I suggest you get the -10, -20 and -20P for yours and go through the steps, check it all and then use the -20 for next level of checks....... You might be dissapointed or pleasantly surprised.2cents

don't mean to be confrontational, just realistic about purchasing 20 year old stuff.

Operations in Retrograde are not an OPTION!!!

moleary

I am curious about your comments. It is funny that you are looking for a perfect 25 yr old vehicle, O.k. maybe not perfect, but pretty close. I have purchased two M1009's in the past year 1 from GSA and one from a SS member, thanks Warthog!
My point is, these trucks were used sparingly by the military. I know I spent 20+ yrs in TXARNG and we used ours once a month, and continuously for 2 weeks in the summer, if we had money for fuel..... thanks governor!
I was a 63Y, 63N (light wheel and track vehicle mech) for the first 5 yrs and had an armory full of these M1009's and M1008's.
They were well taken care of, when we had the moneyfor parts..... thanks governor!! they were also never "abused" as we didn't have replacements and a driver would never "pee on his own horse"
So what's my point?
I think you paid a little much, IMHO, but if you think you got a good deal, then you're happy.
I don't know anything about motorsports, other than they sound like a buy cheap and sell high outfit, I never have a problem with something making a profit, but we're talking about OLD vehicles, that were at one point turned out to pasture (civilian use) without any PMCS or T.M.'s to keep them going.
I suggest you get the -10, -20 and -20P for yours and go through the steps, check it all and then use the -20 for next level of checks....... You might be dissapointed or pleasantly surprised.2cents

don't mean to be confrontational, just realistic about purchasing 20 year old stuff.

Operations in Retrograde are not an OPTION!!!
As someone who has just finished the restoration on a "well maintained" HMMWV I can tell you that you CAN NOT do to much due diligence. I'm sure you've spent some time on here reading the horror stories surrounding the trucks and gen-sets picked up from GL.

If you have nothing but time on your hands, or if the repair of the vehicle is part of the attraction of ownership, then a vehicle with some repairs needed is no big deal - buy from GL / GSA. If on the other hand you are not interested in a project truck right out the gate and you want the certainty that your truck is going to work well for you at the start, you won't mind paying a bit of a premium.

At the end of the day I guess its about how you prioritize and value your time. To many folks the ability to see it, touch it, drive it, is invaluable.

As to your comment about the CUCV's use. I just don't think that holds water. I never saw a soldier treat an MV like a horse - unless you make a routine habit of abusing your horses! Just because the CUCVs in your experience were weekend warriors doesn't mean all of them were and you never know what you're getting from GL. On top of that, many CUCVs saw service in Iraq (and still do) - I'm sure you know what that sand and heat does to machinery.

OL AG '89

Didn't want to start a pissing match, and I can only comment on what I saw in my 20+ years in TXARNG, which included assignments and command positions throughout the 49AD, within Cavalry, Infantry, Artillery and Brigade headquarters. As an enlisted person, once I was assigned a vehicle as a driver, it was mine, running or otherwise! If I was assigned to drive an NCO or officer somewhere, I made sure my "horse" was always ready, if we had money for parts..... thanks governor
The vehicles we had (m151A1, m1008, m1009 m60a1's and m113's, plus others)were either old Regular Army vehicles or leftovers from Vietnam era..... I saw my first HMMMWV at Ft. Knox in 1985, got a "brand new" one in '93 - 94 as an S-4 during a A.T. cycle in Ft. Hood. Had 24 miles on it when they handed me the log book, it had almost 2400 when I handed it back two weeks later, ......... Man I loved that beast!!!
All drivers that I knew, took a great sense of pride in having the best running, best maintained vehicle in the motor pool. There were no awards for this, other than a sense of pride for doing your job with a complete professionalism.
I understand some who purchase these vehicles have never had the pleasure (pain) of working on them in 100 degree weather in the motor pool in Ft. Hood. I also see that most people these days think maintenance involves paying a mechanic to do little things that 10 years ago were a quick fix in the driveway.
As far as extreme service, yes the vehicles are still the work horse of many units, but the maintenance is also increased to support the mission, so in effect the maintenance is better than if they were just sitting around the motor pool a month at a time.
I whole heartedly agree that you must priortize your time and many people these days do need to see, feel and touch before they jump in. I guess it depends on what you buy the vehicle for. If you buy it to drive and not learn anything about it, then you will never "understand" the love - hate relationship many MV owners experience.
I bought my first because A.) it was cheap...... less than a $1000 (GSA vehicle) B.) I wanted to teach my sons how to turn a wrench on something other than a Nintendo or Wii.
I bought my second CUCV because again it was a good price $less than 3K (SS member vehicle) and I had caught the fever of owning a bit of the past, that had been so influential in my life.....

Sajer

Olag,

I'm not here to get into a pissing match with anyone, im here to talk and learn and enjoy my MV with a great bunch of people. Just because i didnt buy a basket case and build her from the frame up does not mean i dont appreciate it. And yes im sure i will have plenty of 10 minute fixes for my truck in the driveway , minus the 100 degree heat.

As far as drivers of these vehicles in its life, based on what the guys i know who did drive them, it wasnt pretty. That also goes for some of the 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks that were run into trees, ditches, swamped, other vehicles, donuts, burnouts via revving it up and dropping the transmission, and so on. If they all had the pride you put into them when you were in, then we wouldnt see the issues we see.

Again, not here to battle, im here to learn and hang out with a bunch of great people with a very wide knowledge base of these trucks.

Now I can look forwrd to the 18 inches of snow we are expected to get tonight. :neutral:

charlietango

good points .. I bought my CUCV and M35 knowing they would eventually need work. they always need something (especially in my climate winters are tough on trucks)

M35 has an engine tick that my M109A3 never had. A diesel shop just charged me 4 hours to tell me they had no idea what the problem was and it was going to take another 4-10 hours to dig it out! So still ticking away ;)
The CUCV was coming from sheriff use and had 'fresh paint' which obviously concerned me and yes eventually the rust showed its ugly face, and several fluid leaks, vacuum leaks popped up and fixed. At the end of the day it is a truck like any other truck out there and will need some attention.

So moral of the story is if you have the opportunity to bang a few hoods and kick some tires you could be prolonging a lot of this work off the hop. I would have done the same and wish I could have had multiples to compare with each other.

Just as long as you know the problems ARE coming and not to panic when they do. Its just a truck. parts and manuals are available.

moleary

I didn't intend it as a pissing match either - I was simply trying to communicate that there is a value proposition to buying a unit that has been inspected and serviced for a reasonable premium.

With regard to your experience in the TXARNG - I don't doubt that your unit was well disciplined in maintaining their equipment. I was pointing out that a lot of military equipment sees really rough use. In the motor-pool it may see kid gloves, but in the field its getting driven by kids (no gloves involved!). :)

EDIT:

Shortly after making the top part of this post someone threw up these photos in the HMMWV forum from a training day... Sorry, but I can't resist posting this...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/hmmwv/47727-pics-training.html

Last edited:

91W350

I think a huge difference in the prices is finding a rust free or low rust vehicle in the northern states. Those guys in Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, some parts of Kansas, Colorado, Utah and California do not realize the rust battles the north and east fight. It is not just sheet metal, it goes for bolts, rivets, frames, brake and fuel lines etc... To have a rust free truck shipped from Texas to Indiana or Illinois would cost 600 to 1000 dollars, going to get it yourself is not a lot better. My M1009 from the MO guard is pretty rusty, rockers, tailgate, inner fenders and the angles behind the seats. Nothing that cannot be fixed, but it will be a grand if I do it and twice that if a body shop does.

Sgt Hulka

Rust can be issue on all the MVs. Most were parked outside most of their lives. My 1009 is generally rust free, but has one hole in the lower left driver floor. Go figure... But you're right. The ones in the salty environments have a corrosion problem that runs through the whole truck. Yuuck...

ABN173

As someone who has just finished the restoration on a "well maintained" HMMWV I can tell you that you CAN NOT do to much due diligence. I'm sure you've spent some time on here reading the horror stories surrounding the trucks and gen-sets picked up from GL.

If you have nothing but time on your hands, or if the repair of the vehicle is part of the attraction of ownership, then a vehicle with some repairs needed is no big deal - buy from GL / GSA. If on the other hand you are not interested in a project truck right out the gate and you want the certainty that your truck is going to work well for you at the start, you won't mind paying a bit of a premium.

At the end of the day I guess its about how you prioritize and value your time. To many folks the ability to see it, touch it, drive it, is invaluable.

As to your comment about the CUCV's use. I just don't think that holds water. I never saw a soldier treat an MV like a horse - unless you make a routine habit of abusing your horses! Just because the CUCVs in your experience were weekend warriors doesn't mean all of them were and you never know what you're getting from GL. On top of that, many CUCVs saw service in Iraq (and still do) - I'm sure you know what that sand and heat does to machinery.

Just throwing in my two cents as well, You hit the nail on the head when you said " you never know what you're getting from GL" Not all stories are horror stories. My M1008 purchase from GL has been great, all I have had to do was fix a radiator overflow nipple and change the oil and I have driven her daily for the past year to include some rally convoys and to a field training site a couple of times.

Sajer,

I think you did ok if you were able to get it for less than $3750 as you stated. Personally I would say my limit for a private sale is 4k depending what they have done to the vehicle. My first M1009 I bought for $3800 (it had a 6" lift and hmmwv tires) Besides you did not have to deal with the GL nonsense, like EUC wait process and dealing with site managers that don't want you to even start the truck up. Congratulations on your truck.

-Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks