• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mount H1 bumper to Humvee

riderdan

So I bought an H1 bumper (it was just $150, so what the heck)--it's like the airlift rear bumper, but "backless"--instead of being a complete section of 2x8x1/4 tube it's just the "face" of the bumper. It came with two big brackets to mount it, that bolt to the H1 and then the bumper bolts to them. It also has an A frame spare tire mount, a cutout for a license plate light, and a short (6") expanded wire mesh "step" that bolts to it.

non-airlift-bumper.jpg

It has a couple of dings, but a little bit of heat and a big hammer and I think I can get those out. And for $150, even if I can't I can likely sell it on again if I can't get it mounted to my HMMWV.

Anyway, as far as I can tell it has the same mounting holes as the standard airlift bumper. But looking in the TM, I'm confused as to how the large bumper brackets bolt to the frame and then to the bumper. I don't want to buy a set of airlift mounting brackets/braces if they're not going to fit.

Would someone with an airlift bumper post a picture (from below) of how the big outer brackets bolt to the frame and bumper so I can take some additional measurements?

Thanks.

riderdan

That has to be an aftermarket or homemade bumper. I have never seen that before.
Could be. The welds are really nice, so if it is a one-off, whoever fabbed it knew how to weld. The reason I think it might not be is because of the back plates. They're 1/4" steel precision bent--they we'rent just hammered or bent in a press. I'll post a picture once I get the kids in bed...

ryanruck

That looks like some custom fab job and not a factory H1 bumper. The factory H1 bumper is pretty similar to the military one except it doesn't have the side shackles.

Hummer-H1_Alpha-2006-1600-06.jpg

Here's the TM graphic for the military bumper. The TM graphic is kind of odd because on one frame rail they show how the outer braces mount and on the other frame rail how the inner bumper and body brackets mount.

2017-06-21_21-36-21.jpg

If the mounting holes on your bumper are in the same place as a factory bumper, the braces should mount up. No telling without measuring since that's not a factory bumper though...

riderdan

That looks like some custom fab job and not a factory H1 bumper. The factory H1 bumper is pretty similar to the military one except it doesn't have the side shackles.
View attachment 686121
Here's the TM graphic for the military bumper. The TM graphic is kind of odd because on one frame rail they show how the outer braces mount and on the other frame rail how the inner bumper and body brackets mount.
View attachment 686120
If the mounting holes on your bumper are in the same place as a factory bumper, the braces should mount up. No telling without measuring since that's not a factory bumper though...
Yeah, I saw the TM. Problem is, without the brackets it's hard to be 100% sure. I have the PDF that shows the airlift bumper measurements with holes laid out with all the dimensions marked, and the holes in this one match the drawing. I hung the bumper off the tailgate and have measurements from the frame rails to the bolt holes (it's too heavy to hold). I thought that if I had an image I could make a pretty good estimate.

Guess I'll have to grab a set of braces and see what happens...

Awol

**** I would have bought that for $150!

Being a custom application, I wouldn't worry about getting the correct air lift brackets. If you can just fab up some heavy duty brackets I'd go that route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks