• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounted a Tire yesterday

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man was it hot and humid. I was given a clean deuce rim without tire recently (thanks Walter). Yesterday I decided that I was going to play tire guy. Took one of the Berg tires from my Aberdeen 05 trip and tubed and flapped it and put it on the rim. The rings tend to dissagree with what you want but eventually I won out and got it mounted. Aired it up from 10' away and it went without problems. I think with proper care and precautions, I could do more. I've put in a request to get a slide hammer bead breaker for fathers day. The following is about the best deal I could find on one.
http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200322829_200322829.htm

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same one and it works well!(bead breaker)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great! Do 4 or 5 tires and the tool is paid for.
Wrap a chain around the tire when you air it up at first, I can see that ring go off sideways.

deuceman51

I sandblasted the ring and the groove it goes in on the rim. It really cleaned it up nicely and my rings lock in great. A little tip for you guys. I used a punch to place a mark in the rim where the split of the ring goes along with using my number punches to assign each rim and ring a number. I have been told by many oldtimers that a rim and lock ring will wear in specific places. The ring may not seat right if you use it with another rim or don't position it the way it was. When I mount my tires, I can find the right ring for the rim and with the mark punched in the rim I know exactly where the split was. This way I am assured that the two will fit just like they were earlier. I feel much safer too using my tire inflator with 10' of hose. Another tip you can use besides chaining the rim is to place it ring down under your truck axle. If it should blow it will blow into the ground and the rim will push against the truck axle which won't give.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great advice Deuceman. For those new to these rims, never mix match the rings and the rims. As a rule of thumb, the split is usually opposite of the valvestem.

Tony

when I had my tires mounted, I blasted rim and lock ring so They were not matched , but the guy that I had them mounted put the split opposite of the air filler valve

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me 10 feet isn't far enough away. As a kid i saw a hole in the roof of the local tire shop where the ring went through. I'm still impressed my that hole. I use a 50 foot hose and the valve at the back of the for refilling tires. Most of my flats have been in the woods far from help. You can't be too careful when your by yourself. I also put it ring down and run a chain through the holes in the rim. That way if it comes loose hope fully it won't come out the side and take my head off.

houdel

It gets worse than that. I used to be a Paramedic, had a run on a guy who tried to inflate a split rim by leaning it up against the side of his shop and inflating it with a hand chuck. The ring blew off and caught him square in the chest. All we could do was bag him up, he was DOS (Dead on Scene).

Also had two other runs on guys working under thier vehicles while held up with just a jack, didn't use jack stands, and the car fell of them. Both DOS also.

Moral of this story - ALWAYS use safety chains or a cage when inflating ANY tire, even tubeless; ALWAYS use jack stands when you lift your vehicle for ANY reason!