• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting 100A dual voltage

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the 100A dual voltage Niehoff alternator fit the aluminum 60A mount? What about the 200A mount??
The parts TM lists only one mount for above 196XXX serial number, not sure what that split is about..

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking in the manual, the 60 and 100 use the same mounting bracket. Only difference between the aluminum and steel that I can see has to do with either using a through bolt for the alternator pivot, or using 2 separate bolts front and rear.

The 196900 split has to do with the serpentine belt system. Above that uses an extra pulley between the alternator and PS pump. Below that doesn't. Also different PS pump designs. These are A2 and newer trucks only, so all have the 200 amp alternator (unless they have the 400 amp)

I don't believe the 100 amp works with the 200 amp bracket, because the 60 and 200 use different brackets.

100 amp was only on A0/A1 trucks, so V-belt systems, not serpentine.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking in the manual, the 60 and 100 use the same mounting bracket. Only difference between the aluminum and steel that I can see has to do with either using a through bolt for the alternator pivot, or using 2 separate bolts front and rear.

The 196900 split has to do with the serpentine belt system. Above that uses an extra pulley between the alternator and PS pump. Below that doesn't. Also different PS pump designs. These are A2 and newer trucks only, so all have the 200 amp alternator (unless they have the 400 amp)

I don't believe the 100 amp works with the 200 amp bracket, because the 60 and 200 use different brackets.

100 amp was only on A0/A1 trucks, so V-belt systems, not serpentine.
So I guess there is no reason to keep it as a backup for the 200A.
It came off the DuraVee, a 1993 M998 with low miles, I thought it was a 200A by the pictures, as it turned out someone just dumped it in position when they pulled whatever alt was in there.
I did pull the regulator and tested it on my 200A, it was toast, I need to make a run into CC anyway so I will stick a good regulator on it and have my buds down at the ye ol starter/gen shop give it a spin.

When I bought GEP turbo engine for the Detroit I could have had the 200A alt and the starter for $500 more, hindsight says I am a dummy:oops:
I wonder if Neihoff has a troubleshooting guide for it, I suspect the 200A guide can be used, for the most part they identical electrically but for size/capacity
I would expect the field windings to have a little higher resistance.

Reactions: cwc

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early series Serp system has a bracket for 100 and 200 dual volt....100 is different when you put one next to a 200.
Late Serp on used a 200 or 400.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The early series Serp system has a bracket for 100 and 200 dual volt....100 is different when you put one next to a 200.
Late Serp on used a 200 or 400.
By the GP pictures all I really paid attention to was the dual voltage reg, did not think to study it closely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks