• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting 11x20's

ducer

Do not use baby powder with tires and tubes! aua It is far to abrasive and will not allow proper movement between the tube and tire. Go to napa and buy the proper tire talc. The tires will run a few degrees cooler when heavily loaded also.

Denny

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Pomps tire shop by my house told me to use baby powder, they usually know what they are talking about. I also got some tire lube from them, it brushes on like a gel, not the snot-like lube that gets everywhere that some places use. It keeps the tire from adhering to the rim over time and prevents rust. It also make assembly easier than doing it dry.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always known that but what is the reason for it?
It's a feeble effort at balance. Since you have the tube slot at once side (taking away weight) it only makes sense to put the gap of the ring 180 degrees out from that.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes sense, yes it is feeble but makes more sense than some other things I have seen on the deuce. Thanks.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched that vid, seemed like that ring was more of an "O" than a "C", is that right, or just how it looked?
Yep, that's an older style with a solid ring. That one was used on WWII deuces and Ben Hur trailers, as well as civilian trucks. They are a lot harder to deal with, which is why the split ring Budd rims became more popular. Also, the flanges on the ring and the rim are narrower than the split ring type.

NH Stumpy

One thing to add to this thread is that the ring should remain with the rim. Do not mix and match when changing multiple tires. I am not sure of the reason other than possibiliy of different manufactures.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here I am speaking from personal experience regarding "bustin heavys" which in translation means changing tires. In Nam we would flip the tire over with the lock ring towards the ground and sit on the inside of the rim to air the tire. Just do not get your cheeks over the edge of the rim.:-o Now I let the tire shop do it.

Clay James

I got mine done at Les Schwab when I went to radial Firestone T831s. I got the wheels and rims powder coated and they check to make sure they're safe. I stayed there when he was mounting them so I could learn how it was done and do one myself. Pretty much like what's been mentioned already. First check the tires to make sure there's no debris in them. Next just put the tube in and inflate it a little to get it to take shape, put in the flap, put lube on it, lower the tire on the wheel, start the ring and stomp it around to the other side and it will snap in place, cage it and inflate. Pretty easy if you're careful.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at another tire shop today and he laughed when I told him I read that baby powder is abrasive. He said "do you think you would put something abrasive on your baby's a$$?! He said it is the same stuff you just pay more when you go buy "tire talc". I got home and checked the ingredients for the baby powder and all it is is talc and fragrance. I guess it's the same reason why I don't waste money on "ice-melt" for my sidewalk when I can buy twice as much water softener salt for the same price. And don't waste your money on floor dry when kitty litter does the same thing but way cheaper.

Dipstick

Clay...I have T831 tires mounted on my bobber (dualled). I also have hydraulic power steering. I noticed that at speeds over 20 mph on uneven roads they wander a bit. I have to constantly make small corrections to the steering wheel to remain on track. I found that the people I bought the truck from had the steers aired up to 50 psi. On the advice of an over-the-road trucker, I raised the pressure to 75 psi. They seem to steer better now. I think the tires were mushy at the lower pressure. I'm going to have to get up to 40 mph to see how the higher pressure works. I'd be interested in getting your thoughts on the T831s. Thanks!

Clay James

Clay...I have T831 tires mounted on my bobber (dualled). I also have hydraulic power steering. I noticed that at speeds over 20 mph on uneven roads they wander a bit. I have to constantly make small corrections to the steering wheel to remain on track. I found that the people I bought the truck from had the steers aired up to 50 psi. On the advice of an over-the-road trucker, I raised the pressure to 75 psi. They seem to steer better now. I think the tires were mushy at the lower pressure. I'm going to have to get up to 40 mph to see how the higher pressure works. I'd be interested in getting your thoughts on the T831s. Thanks!
I had that problem. The problem is the caster angle. Do a search here on that topic and it will tell you how to correct it. Mine was just scary at high speeds because it wandered so much. All I did was shim it and it corrected it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks