• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting 14.00r20's on recentered 5ton combat rims

Just a quick pictorial of how to mount up a double beadlocked rim...

Corkscrew in the beadlock and bolt it up; position it centered in the rim; apply the o-ring to the rim shell and lower the tire over it; place the lock ring and start the securing hardware with molykote or antisieze on the threads and the flange face of the nut; run nuts home little by little so the lock ring seats equally until you reach the desired torque. Touch up the paint and put air to it.... done!

HTH

Matt

PS - If you have the old rubber style beadlocks the easiest way ( :!: it is still an athletic enterprise) is to use a ratchet strap to fold the insert in half - then pry up one bead of the tire while tipping the inset into the tire. One or two swift kicks and they usually go in - :wink: lube is always helpful...

Attachments

Another helpful addition - tired of pounding in studs the caveman way - or having the rim try to hop into my lap off the press - I built a quickie puller bar - simple - it is just two deep nuts - the upper is 5/8x18 and the lower is 3/4x16 so it will pull both size studs used on the 5-ton combats... Welded to some all-thread and I used a 20 ton hollow-head jack, some V-blocks, and tube spacer(in this case a suction valve socket I fabricated for a B&W 7k70mc-c two stroke diesel fuel pump, which should be easily found at your local Home Depot in the container ship engine tool section :grin:) to pull them in - much faster and your ears will thank you!

Matt

Attachments

If you look at the other post you can see what they were made from - it is the standard 10 bolt budd 5-ton combat rim that I recentered with M35 parts...

So the short answer for where to get them is from your local machine shop/fabricators place; I can give you machining dimensions if you're interested

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks