• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting Warn Severe duty 18 winch

Kemper

Because I didn’t find much when I searched for info.

Got a warm 18k severe duty winch for a good price off eBay. Take off from an MRAP.

Planning on 100% bolting the bumper to the winch box and welding the winch box to the torsion tube. That way the bumper can be removed if it gets damaged.

Steel: A572 GR60 5/16”

Still to do:
Trim excess steel from top edge
Drill holes for mounting hw
Drill holes for access to torsion tube
Burn slot for cable
Weld everything
Wire everything
Build cover that will be flush with the top of the bumper
Build mounting plates for bumper to winch enclosure
Power coast finished assembly

Here are some progress pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a very very good design. Should be able to withstand 20,000 pounds of pull easy. See if you can post the DXF files so we can copy it.

Kemper

That looks like a very very good design. Should be able to withstand 20,000 pounds of pull easy. See if you can post the DXF files so we can copy it.
I’ll post the drawings when it’s done. I could even fab them up if people are interested. But I want to abuse my set up first and make sure it’s robust enough.

Reworked LMTV

Looks very nice. I like the design. Maybe add a little more torsional reinforcement to prevent twisting? No criticizing, making a suggestion to make this more indestructible.

Kemper

Final fitting, mounting holes drilled, slot cut and weld prep grinding today.

Still need to make the cover which should end up flush with the top of the bumper.

Kemper

Looks very nice. I like the design. Maybe add a little more torsional reinforcement to prevent twisting? No criticizing, making a suggestion to make this more indestructible.
I was talking about that with one of my machinists today. I’m not sure that I want to limit that tub from twisting. By the way it’s designed it seems like it may be engineered to flex. Which is why I’ll weld the gussets and one bead along the bottom. Hopefully not interfering the torsion flex too much. My theory is most of the load will be in tension from the pulling itself.

Once I get it all done I have some tress to pull over to test it. We’ll see what breaks first.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

I walking talking about that with on of my machinists today. I’m not sure that I want to limit that tub from twisting. By the way it’s designed it seems like it may be engineered to flex. Which is why I’ll weld the gussets and one bead along the bottom. Hopefully not interfering the torsion flex too much. My theory is most of the load will be in tension from the pulling itself.

Once I get it all done I have some tress to pull over to test it. We’ll see what breaks first.

Sounds good to me. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Last edited:

Ronmar

Yea, if you want to remove the front gladhands, you would have to remove the Three 2way check valves circled in red and connect the two lines that don't run to the front gladhand to form the pathways shown in green. You would also have to remove the one way check circled in red and cap the line(green line)...

Attachments

Kemper

Got the box welded in and the winch bolted up. Tested it yesterday, it pulls the truck up hill no problem. Now I just need to pull the winch out to run the wiring and make the cover.

IMG_7056.JPG
IMG_7058.JPGIMG_7057.JPG

Kemper

Nice job on the build! I need to do this. Where did the glad hans go?
Right now no where. Not sure what I am going to do with them yet.

hows cab tilt clearance?
As the cab tilts there is about 3/16" between the mask and the corner of the winch box.

Can you still fit a tow bar on there ?
100% no. I had to get special "U" shackles to fit. The winch is stuffed in the box and the box is very close to the lugs. I don't intend to tow it with another mil truck. It would be nice but I think the added use I'll get from a winch will out weigh the loss of tow-ability. Even just having it temporarily wired with my welding leads I already pulled a downed tree out of our lane.

I don't know if I would use this winch again because of the width. It seems to be very very well built and fully potted. Also the lifetime warranty from warn is nice. The other option would be to mount it closer to in intercooler and lower. But that would require A LOT more fabrication.

Reworked LMTV

As the cab tilts there is about 3/16" between the mask and the corner of the winch box.

100% no. I had to get special "U" shackles to fit. The winch is stuffed in the box and the box is very close to the lugs. I don't intend to tow it with another mil truck. It would be nice but I think the added use I'll get from a winch will out weigh the loss of tow-ability. Even just having it temporarily wired with my welding leads I already pulled a downed tree out of our lane.

I don't know if I would use this winch again because of the width. It seems to be very very well built and fully potted. Also the lifetime warranty from warn is nice. The other option would be to mount it closer to in intercooler and lower. But that would require A LOT more fabrication.

Maybe 2 extensions could be made for the tow bar???

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you're already done, but if it helps with any ideas, I saved a few other winch-mounting pictures I've seen.
Screenshot_20180902-080317_YouTube_resized.jpgScreenshot_20180902-080543_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180902-080350_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180902-080356_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20180902-080321_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20181004-200501_Gallery_resized.jpg

And now I've saved yours too. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks