• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Move mobile home with deuce

Crawdaddy

I have a family member who needs to move an old mobile home on his property from one side to the other. It's moving across 200-300 feet of straight, flat ground that doesn't involve going on any public roads.

A quick search of the site gives me a thread from 2007 which a couple people have claimed they've done it on public roads, but no one said how they hooked it up to the deuce. All I have is the factory pintle hook. Obviously the coupler on a mobile home won't securely latch onto a pintle hook, but can I rest it securely enough on the pintle to drag it the couple hundred feet across the property to get it in place? I'm doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would not be good . Really needs to be on a ball hitch and secure.
If it broke loose that's a lot of mass coming right at your six and tounge could wipe rear Axel out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a family member who needs to move an old mobile home on his property from one side to the other. It's moving across 200-300 feet of straight, flat ground that doesn't involve going on any public roads.

A quick search of the site gives me a thread from 2007 which a couple people have claimed they've done it on public roads, but no one said how they hooked it up to the deuce. All I have is the factory pintle hook. Obviously the coupler on a mobile home won't securely latch onto a pintle hook, but can I rest it securely enough on the pintle to drag it the couple hundred feet across the property to get it in place? I'm doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

I've never moved a mobile home, does it have a traditional ball hitch?

If so, I don't think you're going to get it on the pintle, even if it's a 2 5/16".

Sounds like you just need to get a receiver hitch mounted to your truck.

Otherwise, I think you'll have no problems whatsoever, especially since public roads aren't involved.

Rmtaunton

Biggest problem will be height of your pintle and it not locking , go to ebay or hitch store and get a receiver hitch with a 34 inch frame face , older fords and almost all Chevys are the same width. Also for cheap find a junk yard Chevy and pull off hitch for twenty bucks, buy three drill bits 1/2 inch , 8 bolts and a 8 inch drop hitch and you can pull it perfect :) , and take pocs

welldigger

Worst case find yourself some scrap metal and build a sled for the tongue of the mobile home. Then wrap a chain and drag away. Take it slow and easy.

Though, if you do as others have suggested you will have a nice receiver hitch for towing normal trailers.

EWhytsell

Just a couple hundred feet, I'd probably just figure a way to wrap a chain around the pintle and ball or sling the ball slightly under the pintle and drag away. Not saying do it, but its probably something I'd do because I'm cheap and not to bright sometimes.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with you on the "get-er-done" creativity. Limited resources have sharpened my field solution skills, and completing certain projects at little or no cost can provide satisfaction.

rick

Ridgerunner

Just a couple hundred feet, I'd probably just figure a way to wrap a chain around the pintle and ball or sling the ball slightly under the pintle and drag away. Not saying do it, but its probably something I'd do because I'm cheap and not to bright sometimes.
This is how I would do it. Couple hundred feet in a straight path and on your own property.....no problem

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Praise God for good ol' American ingenuity ! ! !

One thing not yet mentioned here begins with this question....

Is the Mobile Home EMPTY or is it LOADED to the gills with household furniture and goodies?????????

No matter if loaded or empty, check or at least estimate your TONGUE WEIGHT. If too much weight is AFT of the Mobile Home's axles you would be too light on the tongue and just inviting a "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS" video prize winner! If too much weight is FORWARD of the Mobile Home's axles you could have problems with overloading the A-Frame Tongue on the Mobile Home AND may distribute too much mass onto the back end of the Deuce.

Secondary Question:
How hard or soft is the soil you'll be traversing?
If too soft, you sure don't want too much tongue weight sinking your Deuce.
Nor would you want an overloaded Mobile Home sunk up to its own axles in muck and mire.

Praying you success.

Jeepsinker

That was stupid. I found myself wishing I was there with my deuce to make them all feel as stupid as they looked. Gotta give it to them though, they did move that trailer!

RodUSMC1962

A medium farm tractor will move it fine. For a few hundred bucks you could probably get some one to move it if they are close. That is how we moved my mother in law`s modular and it is a lot heaver than a mobile home.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This moron was pulling a dune buggy with this on the the city streets like it was Real Reese Hitch and receiver......idiot.

Idiot.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A bit of good chain rigging along with a old tire rigged to the bottom of the tongue to keep it from digging in would do the trick, heck with only 200' to 300' now would be a good time to practice your winching skills.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks