• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving air intake and exhaust

jmarch58

Hey everyone so I've seen this done on several trucks and want to do it to my m923 a2 to give me more room in the back. Anyone have a thread on doing this I know I could wing it but I wanted to ask first see what some of the sages on here think

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are only going to gain about a foot.....what is the purpose for the extra space?
Good point.
I would never try and talk someone out of doing anything to there truck but rember one day you might want to sell it. Myself I would buy a truck that was well serviced before one that was hacked for a glove box.

74M35A2

One foot of space where there was otherwise none is huge. It could be the difference of mounting an A/C evaporator outside or inside the cab (3rd seat loss).

If you don't plan on driving deep water, then you can simply remove the intake snorkel from the air cleaner housing on up. Exhaust can go elsewhere, and you can put the spare in the bed with a simple low cost bed crane.

Make it what you want, investments make money, not cost money (liability) like these do.

jmarch58

Finally someone who understands I'm thinking of mounting the exhaust up through the front fender I saw it done on someone's truck just can remember where . Planning on building a camper that connects to the cap. And I'm not worried about resale of you worry about that it keeps you from making it what you want and what is the point of that. Going to mount the spare on the rear like a big version of a jeep but with a crane that actually moves always hated the tire crane on these trucks

PWM

I think I understand what you are doing. The main drawback to the front fender exhaust like a deuce-and-a half is the noise. I have seen people run the exhaust down the outside of the passenger side frame rail and dump out the back. You can build an under hood air filter setup and as long as you don't go more than headlight deep in water you would be ok. The tall air intake on these truck also helps in dusty conditions as well as water. Unless it is a life or death situation I have no plans on driving my truck through windshield deep water.

Last edited:

jmarch58

I wonder how he made that hinge looks like most of it is from the truck though only thing I want to do different is have a bunk over the cab to really make it all tie in together

74M35A2

Agree to all, but we were talking about the sexiest things, not the most dependable or lowest cost. A tire rack just isn't the sexiest thing I have ever seen. Yes, the MV's are way cool.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I politely suggest the Victoria Secrets website?
Umm.... I think my Deuce turning 2200 RPM down the highway and holding a solid 48MPH is just as sexy. Girls can be headaches especially those high maintenance ones. Not worth it. I'm holding myself back from a rant right now. haha :) :rant: :eek:

It all depends what your thoughts and purpose for the vehicle is. I found tree branches in tight trails where constantly hitting the intake stack since it was mounted on the corner of the cab, I just cut one of the elbows and rotated it behind the cab to avoid damage. Works great!

Attachments

74M35A2

Umm.... I think my Deuce turning 2200 RPM down the highway and holding a solid 48MPH is just as sexy. Girls can be headaches especially those high maintenance ones. Not worth it. I'm holding myself back from a rant right now. haha :) :rant: :eek:
You think maxing out at 48mph on a 70mph road is sexy? Lord help us..... :cookoo:

turnkey

Just plain nice to look at.....I have seen the rig for the spare tire on a DNR fire truck in south Dakota....Local made and modif for the truck...looks nice

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks