• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving ground lug

Triple Jim

Sure, just do it "to code".

Edit: Jim C., I know you know, but L0 is neutral unless it's bonded to ground, which mine isn't. I think he's asking if it would be OK to add another lug for earth ground that's not bonded to neutral. L2 isn't used in single phase mode.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Is it ok to put a ground lug up in the box with L1, L2, L0 ? It sure would be easier to hook up a gen cord.
If I understand correctly, you are talking about wanting to install a ground lug just inside the access door on one side of the load terminal access box so you don't have to extend the green wire (equipment ground) down to the skid located frame ground stud? If so, that is exactly what I did on one of my gen sets. Just make sure you obtain a solid ground connection. I sanded off the paint around the hole I drilled and used a star washer with the hardware used to fasten the ground lug.

Razerface

Great,,yes, i just wanted to hook the green wire shorter instead of going to the skid. I want to wire a permanant recepticle to it so i can just plug it in, using an RV extension cord, to my transfer switch. It would help hide all wires if the ground was contained in the load box. I unbonded the ground lug on the skid.

Razerface

I was gonna just use a bolt. Is that acceptable, or is there some kind of " lug" i should use?

chainbreaker, did you run a wire between the two lugs? I thought I read someone did that, but can't find the thread again to see why.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

I was gonna just use a bolt. Is that acceptable, or is there some kind of " lug" i should use?

chainbreaker, did you run a wire between the two lugs? I thought I read someone did that, but can't find the thread again to see why.
Yes, you need to use a ground lug (any hardware store carrying electrical supplies should carry them). I did not add another gnd wire down to the frame gnd stud. The box is bolted to the frame, however there might be potential to lose the gnd continuity through those bolts I guess due to corrosion, loose bolts, etc. If you want to cover that possibility you could certainly run a wire down to ground stud as well.

WP_20150710_002.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks