• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

moving tandem axles?

madmanvillain

has anyone ever moved the tandem axle assembly forward? no where near buying let alone building a deuce yet, just throwing ideas around in my head. i like the idea of the shorter wheelbase, but also like the 6x6 design. any photos out there?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there are some pics floating around here where somebody has done it.

It would be fairly easy but you're going to have to watch your driveshaft angles and find a new place for your fuel tank and spare.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think the second pic. with duels looks a lot better the the first with the singles

tm america

If i did one i would make a fuel tank to go between the frame rails in the back rather than have it in the bed.....But if you are going to do it why not put 5 ton suspension under the rear with the 2.5 ton axles and run 53s on it ..

tm america

It looks very cool but I'll bet that it understeers like crazy.
I talked to the guy that built and owned the first one he said it was awsome offroad no issues..You have to remember the deuce has almost 7000lbs on the front axle.. The front has more than enough weight to keep it planted.. Offroad the rear would probably slide before pushing the fronts

plym49

I talked to the guy that built and owned the first one he said it was awsome offroad no issues..You have to remember the deuce has almost 7000lbs on the front axle.. The front has more than enough weight to keep it planted.. Offroad the rear would probably slide before pushing the fronts
Interesting. First, that this type of bob job handles well. Second, that a stock Deuce has a near 50:50 weight distribution empty. Makes sense how they need a load in the bed to handle snow.

I love this place. Every day I learn something more.

I wonder why more bobbers do not go this route? It seems so much easier than some of the alternatives I've seen.

dilligaf13

I think it would be a PITA to cut out all those rivets and then redrill 40 holes for the bogies versus 20 for the singles. With that small foot print though it would be a bada$$ off road.

tm america

What was the angle and length on the drive shaft?
I had asked about the driveshaft when i talked to the guy that built the first one pictured . He said he had no issues with it..It makes sence since the wheelbase is pretty much the same as a m275. This would also answer alot about how it handles ..AS for if it is easier or not?It's probab;y not easier but the best things are ussually not the easiest.

madmanvillain

thanks for all the replies and the photos, exactly what i was looking for. i just see buying a m105 trailer as a waste for the springs, i dont like how the bed looks on the deuce so i wouldnt use the bed for it. and my plans are to run the first deuce into the ground, then buy another and do 4 wheel steer with the front axle and springs from the first and full hydro steering. but thats a ways down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks