• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving to Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongaudier

Hey guys, haven't posted here in awhile. Like the title says, I'm moving to Russia. I've been there 6 times in the past but have been kept out because of Covid restrictions and the border being shut down. I am of course interested in Soviet era military vehicles. I have already been an owner of a Buhanka, which I tried unsuccessfully to bring to US (long story).
Anyway, I should be heading back by the end of October and will be living in the Voronezh regions (South West). If anyone has any particular interests for example, parts or complete vehicles let me know.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing i can offer you for your trip is i can teach you to cuss like a sailor in russian ! Its a long story but i spent a summer with a bus full of russian frog men for the russian military it was a laugh a minute with this bunch have a good time over there and be sure to kiss all the beautiful russian girls for me !!!!

rongaudier

The only thing i can offer you for your trip is i can teach you to cuss like a sailor in russian ! Its a long story but i spent a summer with a bus full of russian frog men for the russian military it was a laugh a minute with this bunch have a good time over there and be sure to kiss all the beautiful russian girls for me !!!!
Yeah man, I've spent a lot of time in that county, enough to fall in love with it and the girls...

rongaudier

My wife is Russian and I have been there, too. Very nice place to visit. If in Moscow, there are several really good military museums that have a lot of RARE German WWII armor. Also, I'd suggest going to the Kubinka military museum south of Moscow.
I have spent a little time in Moscow, beautiful city but I prefer more laid back areas in the provinces.

USSR

Best luck to you! Would love to see some pictures of Soviet-era military vehicles in the hands of collectors and offroaders now....perhaps there is a MV club in Russia like the MVPA in the US?
As such, we have no clubs. There are reenactor clubs - they use equipment from the Second World War and earlier.
And so here you can buy military trucks and armored personnel carriers and other equipment (it is demilitarized) and is called a tractor according to the documents.

HN6

nice thread. I was researching traveling across Russia. Shipping vehicle to Europe for a long trip. Me and family in 5 ton I am converting to RV. Ideas and information if you ever get bored!

HN6

I have spent a little time in Moscow, beautiful city but I prefer more laid back areas in the provinces.
I see you are from Bastrop. My family on the Wilbarger side is from there. Scalped and helped settle Bastrop back in the day. Im ready to come visit Russia!

rongaudier

I'm in Russia right now. Started in Moscow then Saint Petersburg and now Veronezh. Tomorrow I'm flying to Kaliningrad. I took this shot of a Buhanka on the Veronezh ramp. It looks exactly like the one I used to own in Saint Petersburg. You all can follow my progress on my youtube channel: Weird Old Man Ronald Gaudier - YouTube If you are wondering about my channel name, someone on a vlogger friend of mine's channel called me that in the comments so I decided to own it LoL.

IMG_20211028_151143 (1).jpg

WarHorse_Alex

As such, we have no clubs. There are reenactors clubs - they use equipment from the Second World War and earlier.
And so here you can buy military trucks and armored personnel carriers and other equipment (it is demilitarized) and is called a tractor according to the documents.
Don't tell, if you are not know about xDDDD I know about two, and I think it's not all...
"OVVT" - community of military vehicle owners - for example - not so huge range as in US or Europe - but we have something interesting...
Some reenactors are members here, some old equipment and historical things we are interesting in, but it's community dedicated for vehicles exactly...

USSR

Saw this in Sochi this morning. What is it?

KAVZ is a bus manufacturer in Russia. Located in the city of Kurgan.
The hood bus KAVZ-39766 began to be produced in Kurgan in 2003. It was an "off-road" version of the standard model KAvZ-3976.

Like other hoods bus of the plant, KAVZ-39766 was based on the chassis of a GAZ truck, but not the usual "lawn", but the all-terrain vehicle GAZ-3308 "Sadko". The undercarriage of the bus was the same as that of the truck - four-wheel drive with a plug-in limber, a reduction gear.

Such KavZs mainly worked as service buses in areas with poor roads, shift workers, there was also an option for transporting schoolchildren. Inside the car - from 12 to 20 seats, depending on the version.
---
Previously, in the USSR, such models were called "Boot" (Ботинок)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks