• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mpg thread

12vctd

I got 19mpg hand calculated out of my 1028 all the time when I had the 6.2 and the 37 inch boggers, but I also was cruising around 56mph max. And I drove the truck like it was gonna break at any moment (very easy on the throttle) and belive it or not the turbo helped my economy. And I could avg 16mpg driving around town all the time. The times things got very nasty mpg wise was towing anything, it didn't matter what it was seemed to kill the wheezy 6.2 to about 10 and under. I did have my speedo gear also changed for my tire size. But the best mpg mod I made was the 12valve. And I avg 22mpg again hand calculated driving all the way from Alaska to kentucky, with a 70 mph avg. But I also made that trip taking it easy. Letting the torque curve carry the truck. I avg 20 mpg high way in my 97 dodge ram with 4.10 gears, 33 inch tires, and alot more weight.

cucvdonk

I got 19mpg hand calculated out of my 1028 all the time when I had the 6.2 and the 37 inch boggers, but I also was cruising around 56mph max. And I drove the truck like it was gonna break at any moment (very easy on the throttle) and belive it or not the turbo helped my economy. And I could avg 16mpg driving around town all the time. The times things got very nasty mpg wise was towing anything, it didn't matter what it was seemed to kill the wheezy 6.2 to about 10 and under. I did have my speedo gear also changed for my tire size. But the best mpg mod I made was the 12valve. And I avg 22mpg again hand calculated driving all the way from Alaska to kentucky, with a 70 mph avg. But I also made that trip taking it easy. Letting the torque curve carry the truck. I avg 20 mpg high way in my 97 dodge ram with 4.10 gears, 33 inch tires, and alot more weight.
How hard was it doing the cummins swap and do you have any pics of it? Would like to see it.

12vctd

cucvdonk, I have pic's of alot of swaps in straight axle chevys, but my 1028 I dont have pics of, it was wrecked and I never took any pics of it. The swap for me was very straight forward and simple, but I also had done 5 6bt swaps before this truck. If your fab skills are good, and you have a decent knowledge of the 6bt the swap can be done very quick and easy. The cost jmps when you have to pay for adapters and what not. I like to get complete donor trucks saves me alot of money and time on parts.

mtjbrown

I am new to the cucv world, just bought a '86 contact truck, service body vs. pickup bed. What can you realistically expect for mileage with stock tires? Also, what would be the downside if any to say 305/65/16's or 255/85/16s?? Thanks in advance,
Mark

panama

Bone stock '85 1009
Bought over Thanksgiving in N.C.
Cut up the air cleaner housing, replaced filter, changed oil, ran tank dry and refilled adding a bottle of diesel additive/injector cleaner
Drove 750 miles to Miami between 70-75 mph
Averaged 18 mpg and ran great
Looking forward to breaking 20 mpg with it!

noel.isaac

I am new to the cucv world, just bought a '86 contact truck, service body vs. pickup bed. What can you realistically expect for mileage with stock tires? Also, what would be the downside if any to say 305/65/16's or 255/85/16s?? Thanks in advance,
Mark
10...if your lucky. that's what we typically got on our 50 mph convoys to and from South Dakota. They only had 175 mile range, and that is leaving 25 miles of wiggle room.

mtjbrown

I found a set of used BFG 255/85/16 and put them on the truck, haven't got mpg figures yet but it seems a little better. Even allowing for the speedo error due to the bigger tires.

Mark

AJMBLAZER

Because you're raising the effective gear ratio to a more street friendly place. Like putting lower numerical gears in the diffs. Not much, but a little.

mtjbrown

Because you're raising the effective gear ratio to a more street friendly place. Like putting lower numerical gears in the diffs. Not much, but a little.

Yeah, that was my intention, and I think its working. I am wondering if 36' tires would be too much wih a stock lift and how they would affect it?

Mark

booger-hooker

I have a M1010 that on one trip out to Wendover, NV I got just a touch over 15 MPG driving 53 MPH on I-80 for a couple tanks of fuel but most of the trip I was in the 14's. I have Firestone Destination M/T tires on it and stock otherwise as it's been very reliable and a lot of fun to drive and own. I have a fuel leak up under the breather from a metal fuel line that leaks down on to the intake manifold so my MPG is not real good now and will get that fixed when I return from Iraq.

four_by_ken

'85 M1008. 50k miles or so. All stock other than a set of 33s.

14mpg. Mostly two lane country roads and some highway. If I slowed it down some on the highway, it would probably come up. But, it seems like I am late or real excited to get where I am going each time I hit the highway with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks