• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP 395/85/R20 on HEMMT wheels

metalman99

I won some of the MRAP wheel / tire combos on GL yesterday, first auction there. I would like to buy some new HEMMT wheels and remount the new Michelins and the run flats I won on the HEMMT wheels so that it fits on a 5 ton.

Has anyone done this or see a problem with this. It's kind of important since i'm buying parts to build a truck that I don't own yet (looking for an M51 or M52 5 ton multifuel). I want to buy the wheels and get these together in the next week or so.

Anyone have a good source for HEMMT wheels? Are the new one on EBay any good?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....Why not just modify the MRAP wheel and use an adapter plate?
Better looks and probably cheaper, too...
A HEMTT wheel fits as is and may cost the same as the adapter plus the wheel mod. And he can always sell the MRAP's and get a few bucks back, there.

G.

MilSpec78

Makes sense. I am sure there are plenty of members with bobbed deuces looking to purchase the MRAP wheels too. I got some myself with 14.00-20s that I am currently adapting.

Good luck metalman.

metalman99

I am curious. Why would you choose to replace the MRAP wheel with a HEMMT wheel? Why not just modify the MRAP wheel and use an adapter plate?
Because i've yet to hear from someone on SS that has adapted the MRAP wheels to a 5 ton. My understanding is that the bolt patterns are too similar between the two, in other words, there is not enough material to use an adapter plate. I would need to cut out the center of the wheel and weld in a new center with correct 5 ton bolt pattern.

I own a laser, waterjet, CNC mill, etc. and can do all the work myself, but thought HEMMT wheels would be easier and stronger.

Am I wrong about this? I am totallly new to MV and only repeating what I have read here. If I can adapt the MRAP wheels for a 5 ton, i'm all for it since the MRAP wheels come mounted and balanced, saves me money, but also alot of work.

Opinions?

MilSpec78

You may be right. Be the first. ;-)

Anyway, I know people have adapted a HEMMT wheel for deuce purposes and I believe that has the same issue as MRAP to 5 ton.

By the way, this pic was posted by gringeltaube in another thread earlier today.

I wish I had all the tools you listed. I have a Yuasa Accumill that I love and use all the time. I only wish I had more garage space for the other goodies.

Good luck.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............. in other words, there is not enough material to use an adapter plate. ......
Actually its quite the opposite: you'll have to remove some out of the center disk and then bolt an adapter plate in place.
See my drawing here: it gives you an idea of the real proportions; what needs to be done and how it would look like.
I own a laser, waterjet, CNC mill, etc. and can do all the work myself, but thought HEMMT wheels would be easier and stronger.
If so and labor doesn't matter that may change the balance in favor of the MRAP's.
I doubt that HEMTT wheels are stronger than stock MRAP's - or even compared to modded wheels, if done right.

G.

Edit: Oops... MilSpec78, you were faster...! Thanks!:)

Last edited:

metalman99

Thanks for the replies, this helps. It looks like the principle is the same as a 2 1/2 ton swap, just with a scalloped profile. I can cut the wheel profile in the CNC Mill and machine a plate with a matching stepped scallop so the wheel and new spacer are flush on the outside.

Wheels will be here next week, hopefully i'll find the right truck soon and I can get this going and post the results. In the meantime, i'll hold off buying the HEMMT wheels for now.

peashooter

Thanks for the replies, this helps. It looks like the principle is the same as a 2 1/2 ton swap, just with a scalloped profile. I can cut the wheel profile in the CNC Mill and machine a plate with a matching stepped scallop so the wheel and new spacer are flush on the outside.

Wheels will be here next week, hopefully i'll find the right truck soon and I can get this going and post the results. In the meantime, i'll hold off buying the HEMMT wheels for now.
Metalman99- Since you dont have your MRAPS yet you probably arent aware that the thickness of the rim is about .76" so I'm not sure if you would actually want to make make your adapter flush on the outside of the wheel... that would be some pretty thick material to start with. I make MRAP to deuce adapters that are listed in the classifieds, so if you need anything like bolts, nuts, or valve stem adapters (these are the large bore valve stems) let me know but from the sounds of it you are pretty well set.

metalman99

Thanks for the info, I had no idea they were that thick. How thick are HEMMT wheels at the hub? I probably would waterjet the wheel a little tight and then machine both the wheel and adapter plant to make it flush so that when it's painted, you won't see the joint. Sounls like i'll need to start with 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" plate first?

Not the most cost effective way to do it, but it will look OEM. My main concern is ending up with a custom Hybrid wheel that in the event of a real crisis, I cannot replace. That was one reason for considering the HEMMT wheels, not that they are commom, but at least not custom made.

Thanks for the offer of assistance, the more I read, the more I realize I have to learn. I will need advice and a source for hardware, lug nuts, etc.

Now if I could just find the truck to start working on it.

peashooter

Now if I could just find the truck to start working on it.
You can always talk to Scott (tie6044), he is up here in the Minneapolis area and always has lots of trucks and parts. He has several 5tons i believe still. I've heard Andy (andydieselpower) also has many of 5tons last I heard. Both are a couple hour drive from you but might be worth checking with.

lwarstler

The MRAP run flats also provide a bead lock. If the HEMMT wheels are a different width, then you may have trouble with the bead lock when you run low tire pressure.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both wheels are industrial std, 20x10, so the bead- and "well" diameter are the same for both. Also the wheel width, of course.
I see no reason for the same BL not fitting well on either one.

G.

Edit: attached is just an updated version of the previous drawing, posted above.

Attachments

Last edited:

metalman99

HEMMT wheels it is then! Has anyone used this HEMMT wheel seller on Ebay, might be a member here and his feedback is good but I want to be sure that i'm getting a quality OEM wheel.

I hope this doesn't violate a for sale post in the wrong place, not meant to.

Thanks.

Edit: link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, those are original HEMTT wheels.

No, posting direct links to items on ebay (including for sale), is NOT allowed!

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks