• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP Rear Steps Installed on an M939 Truck

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought these steps at the GA Rally last year to install on the back of my truck for parade use. I do two parades each year and was trying to create easier access to the bed for some of the less agile folks. When I buy something like this, that will require fabricating or modification, I usually have the "start to finish" already planned out in my mind. I had it planned out here too, but...

I've come up with several mounting options and can't seem to nail one down to get started. I'm 99% happy with all of them but not 100% happy with any of them. Due to the leverage the steps will have on the removable pins, the mounts and mounting location will need to be substantial. I've been looking at the bumperettes as the mounting location. This will only be used twice a year and then removed after each parade.

These steps came out in mass quantity a while back, so I assume some folks have done something with theirs. I'd like to see some pictures of what was done for mounting so I can put this project to rest. I included a picture showing how they originally mounted. Not sure why I can't make a decision here, since I'm usually very cut and dried with my projects, but it is what it is I guess.

Don't mind the parts on the steps. The steps have been used for the short list projects storage area since I got them. They don't stand by themselves so some weight on the bottom step keeps them upright. If the steps fall over then I need more projects. It's a careful balance.

Let's see what you got and it doesn't have to he M939 specific.

20160619_105930.jpg

John+Thomas+showing+inside+of+MRAP.jpg

mdemars03

Have you figured out anything as far as mounting the steps? I have been looking for something to make it easier to get in the bed of my 923. I like the idea of MRAP steps instead of something that is completely vertical. Like you said it will help with people who aren't as agile getting in the bed of these trucks.

603hellmutt

I made an aluminum staircase with grated aluminum steps weighs about 80 ish pounds the top flight platform is 36x36 has two pieces of c channel that hold onto the top of the tailgate. 6 steps comes down to just about 12" off the ground. I'll take a picture of it when I'm around the truck tomorrow. Came out better then expected

mdemars03

Pictures would be awesome. I have several people in the family who have a hard time getting in the back. My solution for the time being, which I stole the idea from my brother in law, is use a 8 foot aluminum a-frame step ladder pushed up against the truck.

603hellmutt

The steps brake down for easy transport, i need to add a lower support as they will sway slightly if anyone over ~270lbs steps on them. Ill take a few photos of it on the truck tomorrow.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
m934 steps work well they hook right into the tailgate. I think they are cheap to find as well. I installed those toolboxes in place of my spare tire to make mine easier to get into. I get tired of "step on hub, tire, bed bottom rail, top rail and up and over onto the 931 toolbox I have up high.

I like the toolboxes I did in the area. It is stop on the fuel tank, two boxes. middle box and you can step right over into the bed. I have my spare laying there and two other fuse boxes so step on. It is very very nice.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully I'll be able to do something with it next Friday.

I already have a ladder and it's just a little arkward for some people during the parade. The staircase is the next option but I'd like to use what I have already. I'll only need it twice a year for the bank folks I haul at the parade. It'll sit in the back yard the rest of the time. I'll work something out with it. If not, I'll round up a set of stairs. Was just curious if anybody else had done one of these so I wasn't reinventing the wheel.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few of them lying around the warehouse too. I have the frame / tow eye plate for the rear of that MRAP that the steps attach to. I may have to add an additional step since I am running 16x20 tires. The tailgate would need to be removed too! It would be cool if you could make a opening in the middle of it so it could be left in place and latched for use. I bet you could fab that up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I saw something like this installed on a 927 and 928 for the local "zombie apocalypse paintball park" If I remember right the other truck had lil hollow tubes that the thing slid down into so two men could easily pick it up and remove it.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few of them lying around the warehouse too. I have the frame / tow eye plate for the rear of that MRAP that the steps attach to. I may have to add an additional step since I am running 16x20 tires. The tailgate would need to be removed too! It would be cool if you could make a opening in the middle of it so it could be left in place and latched for use. I bet you could fab that up.
I know the tow plates you're talking about. I would use them but they are a bit thick. I plan to use the same design though with some thinner plate. They'll still use the pins and limiting lugs on the steps.

I saw something like this installed on a 927 and 928 for the local "zombie apocalypse paintball park" If I remember right the other truck had lil hollow tubes that the thing slid down into so two men could easily pick it up and remove it.
If I did this all the time then that'd be nice to have. I can install the steps I'm using by myself for the couple time I'll need them. They look heavier than they really are. The little old ladies at the bank ain't much for lifting.

I'm usually pretty decisive on how I want to make or modify something. I'm stuck on this project for some reason though. I'm about to just get a basket and use the bed crane instead. Then all I have to do is push buttons. :mrgreen:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will send you a picture. They replace the entire bumper / rear cross member section and have the pintle holes to remount the hitch. I am going to put one on the rear of my 5 ton. I will take a pic of the adapter. Since all of this stuff is so heavy you may want to use some kind of assist. Maybe you could use a rear winch to lift and lower them. That is my plan

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not on my end. Turned out to be too much work, to do what I wanted, for the maybe 2 times a year I'd use it. I modified my ladder a bit instead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks