• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP Seats in a deuce or 5 ton?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw some pictures online of MRAPS seats and started doing some research.. I figured it would be cool to put some in a deuce or 5 ton.
It looks like there are 3 main types. One has the bottom of the seat thatflips up. The second is a seat with a heavy frame around it and has aslide adjuster like a drivers seat. The third folds forward and has agunners step on it and the seat bottom also can flip up on this one. Onthe flip seats, the bottom is held in the down position by a ball-catch system. I've seen 2 different 5 point harness designs on these seats. One is heldby a hook latch and the other is turned to release the buckles. Bothappear to be "commercial off the shelf (COTS)" designs used in theseseats. I think these seats are used in most of the modern truck suchlike FMTVs and MRAPs and maybe the heavy HMMWVvariants.

Anyone seen any for sale?

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=172095&page=1

http://www.armorworks.ca/products-page/featured-products/blast-attenuating-seating-systems/

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php...kBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=174491

Cycletek

Some MRAP seats are designed to be supported from above, for blast protection, but with some fabrication you could fit them to a spring seat base. Just be mindful of the seat back thickness, so you do not force yourself into the steering wheel more than you do now.....

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently installing the troop-seat version in my deuce. I can say the fit is kind of tight, side to side. The only way to use the driver's style is to only use two seats. I didn't have a gunner's seat to try. I made an adapter plate to bolt one of the seats to the spring base and made a new support out of 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/8 angle for the two passenger seats. I will try to get pics up soon. I did change the angle of the backrest relative to the seat bottom. I made it more vertical to approximate the angle of the original deuce seats. This is especially important on the spring base because the seat back has to clear the cab as the pring compresses. I changed all three so they would look uniform.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seat pics

Here's some pictures. The plate has a cutout area for the seat adjuster on the stock springer. The bolts are countersunk flatheads to clear the springer base while sliding fore/aft. The passenger seat bracket reuses the original inboard support that has the chain welded to it.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'll have to come out and take a look in the near future and try out the seats. I wonder how they would work in a CUCV.

CHoW

IMG_0933.jpgIMG_0936.jpgHere are the pictures of the other typeIMG_0937.jpg

The installation done in the pictures above looks top notch.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I looked at using those but did not want to give up three-across seating, have to relocate the parking brake handle, or have the driver's seat centerline offset considerably from the steering wheel centerline. They are mighty nice though. They would probably be cool with two seats and a center console. I don't know about the backrest angle and the interference with the back of the cab on the springer base.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm thinking these for the CUCV front and then 2 or 3 of the flip bottoms in the back it (it's a 1009). I'm wondering how to come up with a method of making it so they can be put in and taken out in a very timely manner yet still be secure to carry my most precious cargo, my kids (oh isn't that sweet and poetic).

bigboy44

Good job looks great! Do they give you any more room inbetween you and the steering wheel? I would really like to gain a little distance between me and the steering wheel.
Thanks

Scarecrow1

Like Bigboy44 said It seems to me if you could gain some more room with those seat verses the stock ones the demand would be greater. A friend of mine and a fellow SS was amazed with the room in my 5ton with stock seats in it. He said the deuce had even less room behind the wheel. Until then I thought I was short on room so I would be curious if there is more room .....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm thinking for the deuce the flip up seats in the passenger side does provide me other options to better access 'stuff'. I know the seat now goes up but since it is one long bench, there's ALWAYS something on it and in the way. I'll have to go see VPED and to the tall and fat test on it.

In the CUCV, I don't think it would be a problem especially for the front. I guess maybe I need to do a separate thread on MRAP seats in a CUCV (LOL). I'd like to figure out how would be best to install them in the back.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job looks great! Do they give you any more room inbetween you and the steering wheel? I would really like to gain a little distance between me and the steering wheel.
Thanks
That is part of the reason for changing the seat-back angle. If you don't change the angle, the backrest hits the back of the cap with little clearance between the steering wheel and seat back. Changing the angle to closely appoximate the angle of the original deuce seat gets room back. If there is more room than the original, it is only a wee bit.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking these for the CUCV front and then 2 or 3 of the flip bottoms in the back it (it's a 1009). I'm wondering how to come up with a method of making it so they can be put in and taken out in a very timely manner yet still be secure to carry my most precious cargo, my kids (oh isn't that sweet and poetic).
CARNAC, I believe the troop seats have provisions for easy removal from the original application. I think that is the reason for the ratchet tie-down deal on the bottom. I do not have access to an MRAP to see exactly how it works there but I would think it would be doable to make them removable. Next time we meet up, we can take a good look at your CUCV and the seats and see if we come up with a plan.

Thanks for the props on the install guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks