• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP wheel tire mounting...am I missing something

wildbill81

This is the first time I'm trying to mount tires on 2 piece rims. My buddy got 4 aluminum MRAP wheels and some Michelin XL 14x20 tires. I put the rim in the tire and bolted it together but the bead does not seat when I try to inflate the tire. I've only ever mounted tires on my cars and trucks with one piece rims on a tire machine and the beads just 'pop' when inflated. Am I missing something?
Thanks

oboyjohn

Did you try removing the tire valve core to get more volume of air into the tire? There is also the old "Quick start and a match" routine but you have to be very careful not to blow the tire off the rim, spectacular but dangerous.

wildbill81

Tried copious amounts of soapy water. Is there a preferred position of the tire? i.e. laying flat, standing up, leaned over etc? I tried wrapping it with a ratchet strap with the tire standing up to no avail. I figure this can't be too difficult since they can be changed in the field...

welldigger

I forget the brand but there's this mucus like tire mounting slime I used. You could fill gaps between the tire and rim and it would keep air from escaping from the tire while seating the bead.

No you do not need beadlocks.

Last edited:

infidel got me

I forget the brand but there's this mucus like tire mounting slime I used. You could fill gaps between the tire and rim and it would keep air from escaping from the tire while seating the bead.

No you do not need beadlocks.
Murphy's soap , most tire suppliers have it- we kept 5 gallon buckets of the brown goo,

ke5eua

Mike are you trying to confuse me.
Trying to learn here o ring or no o ring lol
I'm confused myself, lol

I know the ones I got from the scrap yard here in Texas when I broke them down there wasn't an oring in them. I don't know if it was because of the style wheels or not. I know those mraps had the fmtv axles so I don't know if that makes a difference.

When it comes to combat wheels I'm used to having an oring.

Best thing to do is bolt a set together without the tire on it and see if there is a groove for the oring.

welldigger

If it's a 2 piece bolt together wheel then it should require an o ring. I guess it's possible that it doesn't require one but I don't see how else the 2 halves would seal together.

ke5eua

If it's a 2 piece bolt together wheel then it should require an o ring. I guess it's possible that it doesn't require one but I don't see how else the 2 halves would seal together.
I wondered that myself, only thing I could come with is the amount of torque on the nuts. I had to use my impact and it's breaking force is 750 ft lbs and it took it a little bit to break each nut.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks