• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP wheels on 5 ton?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I saw a few photos while looking at rim options, of MRAP rims on 5 ton trucks. Are they suitable for our trucks? I tried a search here and most threads are about putting them on deuces.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I saw a few photos while looking at rim options, of MRAP rims on 5 ton trucks. Are they suitable for our trucks? I tried a search here and most threads are about putting them on deuces.
No.

Mraps use a hub pilot 335mm pattern. 5 tons use Budd wheels.

2 MRAPs use budd pattern. The Caiman and MaxxPro Plus. Caiman wheels can be aluminum or steel. They are just LMTV/FMTV wheels installed.

Combat wheels 5 tons can accept

-M939 Combat wheels with 5/8 or 3/4" beadlock studs.
-LMTV/FMTV steel wheels with dual tapered sides only.
-Caiman/LMTV aluminum wheels by using a special shouldered lug nut.
- HEMTT wheels - m39/809 trucks require a special shouldered lug nut or longer studs instslled.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense now. Is this a usable MRAP as it is budd pattern? Has a very unique look.
That wheel is from a Maxx Pro mrap. It's for dual tires. You need really long studs for those. It is primarily used with 12.00R20s. 1200s will fit in the stock 5 ton dual wheels with tubes and flaps. So it would be wiser to keep the stock wheels and run 1200R20s on the rear and a 395 on a combat wheel on the front

This is a pic of those wheels on a F450.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks I really appreciate the feedback. I want to run singles on the m51 eventually. Could I go with combat rims and 395's all the way around? The goal here is better road handling, it will mainly be driven to local parades and meets, with rare off road use (no fording).

TheQuaker

@SandBar

If your goal, as stated, is better on-road handling you are better off sticking with duals. Duals will provide a much more stable on-road ride for you.

Unless your "rare" off-roading includes a lot of deep mud or very soft, marshy ground you will be surprised how capable duals can be off-road with the correct inflation pressures for the situation.

Now, if you just want the look, then single away...

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Point taken, maybe I will stick with this setup for now (plenty of other areas to spend money on).

grendel

These are dual 1200s on the 550

You can get the G272s from colony tire in Norfolk for $250ea

They are equal in size to the 395s. I just prefer a 395 on the front for a wider steer tire
Do you know how long of a wheel stud was needed for both rims in the rear?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks