• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP wheels

jimm1009

I have a question for the group. When I purchased my M35A2 from the previous owner it had MRAP tires and wheels installed with adapter plates. The truck runs great down the road and at 2500 RPM and pure diesel I get about 63 MPH on flat or moderately sloped roads.
My ?? is this. My truck had the adapter plates installed on the inboard side of the front wheels with bolts pointing outboard. On both rear axles the adapter plates are outboard of the wheels with the bolts pointing inboard. I need to take all my wheels off and remove the adapter plates because they where installed without paint and are gently rusting. I will blast them, prime, and repaint. The plates installed inboard look better as you see more of the actual wheel. On the rear, obviously the backspacing would change by what ever thickness the adapters are in thickness, but would they not be better if mounted inboard? I know this more a question of looks but since I need to remove them for cleaning and paint I thought I would ask for opinions. I do not know positively who made the adapters and am waiting on an answer from the former owner to see if he remembers. Thoughts? Opinions? jimm1009 / aka Jim

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing he didn’t flip his rear hubs and the wheels are dish out instead of dish in??

If that is the case, you need to remove the rear hubs and flip them so the tires all line up and then you can run the adapter plates the same way as the fronts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimm1009

I am guessing he didn’t flip his rear hubs and the wheels are dish out instead of dish in??

If that is the case, you need to remove the rear hubs and flip them so the tires all line up and then you can run the adapter plates the same way as the fronts

I do not know if he flipped the rear hubs. Since I do not have another 100% stock truck to look at can you tell me how to identify a flipped hub please. I am not going to do this for about three weeks but trying to get my duckies in a row.
jimm1009

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MRAP wheels have an offset that places the lug bolts closer to the outside of the rim. If your hubs aren’t flipped, then the wheels need to be spun 180 degrees to get them closer to lining up with the front wheels. So they would appear deeper.

jimm1009

MRAP wheels have an offset that places the lug bolts closer to the outside of the rim. If your hubs aren’t flipped, then the wheels need to be spun 180 degrees to get them closer to lining up with the front wheels. So they would appear deeper.

I finally received an answer from him today. He did NOT flip the rear hubs when he installed the MRAP wheels and yes they are dish out.
I have all new bearings and seals and brake cylinders for when I remove the tire/wheel combination so a lot of work coming up.
I am also installing all new brake flex hoses as well. Am going to do the front boots the hard way (no zippers) as well. I have done them
before so I will spend another $10 and install new inner front axle seals too as well as the obvious cleaning and lubrication.
Going to change the gearbox oils well. Yes, I am a gluten for punishment. :)
Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks