• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MT654CR numbers?

ghitch75

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how can you tell which trans is for a NHC 250 OR 8.3 Turbo?.....i'm looking at a military rebuild and can you tell by the numbers in the paper work?.....

any help would be great....

lindsey97

Interested in this very topic as well. Rumor has it the torque converters are different, each engine having it's own unique converter made to match the torque curve of the engine. I am currently replacing my transmission in a M923 with NHC-250 engine, and have 3 trans to choose from. Hope one is correct......

lindsey97

Thanks for the advice country. so are you saying that the flywheel and ring are physically different to the point of not being able to fit/bolt together an 8.3l torque converter to an nhc250 flex plate ring gear? Is it possible to install an 8.3l setup to a nhc250, and the truck still run/shift/drive, or are the physical dimensions of the 2 flex plates too different to fit together?

Or are the torque converters just different internally to accommodate the 2 different power curves of the engines output? Please advise as this is one subject I have yet to find any info on SS. Thanks and please include measurements or pics of the different parts if you can.

ghitch75

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice country. so are you saying that the flywheel and ring are physically different to the point of not being able to fit/bolt together an 8.3l torque converter to an nhc250 flex plate ring gear? Is it possible to install an 8.3l setup to a nhc250, and the truck still run/shift/drive, or are the physical dimensions of the 2 flex plates too different to fit together?

Or are the torque converters just different internally to accommodate the 2 different power curves of the engines output? Please advise as this is one subject I have yet to find any info on SS. Thanks and please include measurements or pics of the different parts if you can.
yes i would like to know too......is it some state secret that can't be told on open forum?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't bust country's balls, he is a vendor and might not actually know the difference. I would assume that's why he listed a phone number to call and talk to one of his guys that can tell you the difference.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a FYI I looked in the TM and the p/n is the same for all the trucks. I would think if you needed a different one they would list it.

P/N for one in the can NSN 2520-01-117-3010 p/n 5704512

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Reviving this. I am going to run my numbers tomorrow to find out what torque convertor i have.

I blew my transmission last week after a long trip. Locked up. Then worked fine again. Drained and flushed the whole system with 12 gal of dextron. Already had swapped it to dex before. Fluid was good color. Drove it 2 miles to the car wash and back and in the bucket is what came out. Something burned up. I found this info as well. There are 3 different ratio torque convertors for the mt654s. I am going to dacco detroit to find out what one i should go to for what i am doing with the truck. 20161113_171449.jpg20161113_171300.jpegScreenshot_2016-11-13-17-07-12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Apparently there is an additional torque convertor as well. Screenshot_2016-11-13-17-46-55.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk