• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muff too tuff

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m trying to remove my muffler and the converter pipe. Basically everything from the Y-pipe to tip. I have been underneath it and I don’t see how it comes out with the body on. I looked at diagram in the TM and mine looks different. M1123 I believe it to be an A2 but it looks like I have the bracket with bolts that hold the body mount on. How do I get it off? Can I get the cat part out and leave the muff in place? Anyone take a muffler off that intended to re install it?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? Nobody has taken the cat section out of their exhaust? Ok I will figure it out and I will tell you what to do and what not to do. Might even put a Magnaflow on it. I see the cat is a different color and I know it’s a heat source that needs to be replaced.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have pulled the entire exhaust out and did not have the issue you noted. I would think maybe it had been tinkered with by someone else. The ypipe disconnects and drops out, then the middle section and then the exhaust tip or fording pipe. Drop a few pics of the connections your seeing as trouble.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have pulled the entire exhaust out and did not have the issue you noted. I would think maybe it had been tinkered with by someone else. The ypipe disconnects and drops out, then the middle section and then the exhaust tip or fording pipe. Drop a few pics of the connections your seeing as trouble.
Thanks. I’m getting ready to get underneath. The bracket on top of the muffler is the one that looks impossible to get at.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That part really only has like one bolt attached to the shield on top and then on the sides. You can remove the rear elbow/tail pipe first, then unbolt the middle from the y pipe and the transfer case bracket if its still there. Then you should just wrestle it out.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know how I would ever get this back on even if I could get it off. This is the top of muff taken from the rear of it. After further review I think you have to drop the tank and get it between the drive shaft and body. I need to change the gasket on top of the tank and I was waiting for it to get down to 1/4 tank before I drop it. I will do exhaust while I have it out. 5EED5699-F8E8-460A-A5B3-BF1B5F0A26E4.jpeg

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-387-24-1 Go to page 3-49. It walks you through it. I did not have driveshaft out when I removed it. But, if it gives you more room it will help. You have to reach up and over for those bolts. I do remember using a jack to raise it up when i reinstalled, just to help hold it. But the instructions do mention you may need to lower the driveshaft for access. But I am 6-6 with long monkey arms so I did not do so.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-387-24-1 Go to page 3-49. It walks you through it. I did not have driveshaft out when I removed it. But, if it gives you more room it will help. You have to reach up and over for those bolts. I do remember using a jack to raise it up when i reinstalled, just to help hold it. But the instructions do mention you may need to lower the driveshaft for access. But I am 6-6 with long monkey arms so I did not do so.
Awesome! I’m headed there now

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t find that TM. I searched the number in the TM section and I looked under the M998 TM’s also.
I think I found it!!!

AAVP7

Those four screws are set into two metal strips inside that rubber loop. Since disassembly was truly a fight, for easier reassembly I welded the screws to those metal strips, using the bracket as a template.
That way, I didn´t need to hold the screws with one hand while tightening the nuts with the other. Instead I could just put on the nuts, and then tighten them with one hand. I also used a ratcheting wrench. Makes work in that tight spot much easier.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you try to unbolt the bracket from the frame rail? And leave it attached to exhaust?
That was my first thought but the bolts go thru the frame and hold the body mount on. I don’t see how I can get them out because they are really close to the muffler

Action

You can remove the rear propshaft to get more room to get to those bolts. I recall using ratcheting wrenches the last time I had to do those bolts at the top of muffler. I think I reached them from the wheelwell area but not sure.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can remove the rear propshaft to get more room to get to those bolts. I recall using ratcheting wrenches the last time I had to do those bolts at the top of muffler. I think I reached them from the wheelwell area but not sure.
I think that’s the only way I can get to it. I just can’t get around as good anymore. I have to take the shaft out to get the tank out to replace the gasket. I’m thinking I do the gasket and exhaust at the same time and I know I can get up in there. They really got lots of stuff in a small space.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Typical HumV for stiff body hobbyist. Pull the wheel, hop on the rollie chair, get up in there and work it.

One beer per nut, including wheels, CAMO
Gotta have fun if we are going to work on these green toys!
That sounds like fun to me. As long as you can walk back in the house when the job is done :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks