• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

muffled the roar

runk

I've got the same dynomax muffler (but also "hidden" under the heat shield), don't need ear plugs around town anymore, but definitely still need them on the highway ! Sound / heat insulation for the cab is moving up on the list...

RAYZER

I just bought on ebay a dynnomax 24216 for $42.95 + 10.00 shiping, cant wait to install it and see what the diff is, i also will insulate the inside of the fire wall and floor boards, i think that will help with noise levels as well. I presently wear muffs that are rated at 30 and have 2 pair on hand for passengers.so i have a good friend that is schooled in the ill effects of ultra high db levels, well, i gave him a ride in my deuce the other day and in his opinion , its way loud, so ill take db meter readings at the to the floor conditions, before and after the changes i make and post the results, i dont know, but there may be a good reason for all of those stickers all over the inside of the cab that read "high intensity noise,hearing protection reqired". Folks, protect yourselfs!:driver:

Another great topic Rayzer: Sound deadening. Let's see some pics and get some details of those sound deadening efforts.

Keep up the quiet work!

It sounds like this muffler along with a good sound deadening efforts might keep our rigs looking as original as possible while still offering a modicum of hearing safety for us and our passengers.

rlwm211

I've got the same dynomax muffler (but also "hidden" under the heat shield), don't need ear plugs around town anymore, but definitely still need them on the highway ! Sound / heat insulation for the cab is moving up on the list...
I have a set of Winter Shift boots installed to cut down on the noise and heat/cold. That made a big difference in the road noise factor.

The only reason I installed the muffler above the flange is so I can remove it if I want to return the truck to completely stock configuration. Initially, I had planned on installing it behind the heat shield and it would have been pretty easy to do. I also knew with the shelter I had no issues with height so I moved the outlet up.

RL

MikeON

Here is a quick test of the dynomax 24216 before I permanently installed it. In reality, I think there was more difference than this video shows. The camera auto-adjusts somewhat for sound level and I could find no way to turn that off.

Attachments

MikeON

Here is the view inside the 24216 muffler. It is straight through, and is remarkable that it reduces noise as well as it does.

I mounted a Radio Shack sound level meter on a camera support arm so it would be in the same location for before and after testing. It was mounted near the center of the windshield. At 55 mph on level ground, I would floor the accelerator and read the sound level. It was 2 - 3 dBa quieter with the muffler.

The Walker would probably be quieter, but I still want my truck to sound like a deuce and a half, just toned down a little.

BTW, I have a D turbo.

Attachments

3db is a 50% reduction in sound pressure (if I have my information correct).

I agree with the "still want it to sound like a deuce" approach. I suspect I'll go with something similar because sign language is dangerous when you're trying to drive!

Thanks for the great info and pics.

5tonpuller

I put a NAPA muffler on my wrecker. Made it so I could easy change from muffler to stock stake with ease. I think I posted some pictures on a past post about this subject. Your set up looks really good. I have learned the hard way that hearing protection is worth a million. To late now.aua

rlwm211

the proof is in the pudding

I just finished a 300 mile round trip and if the proof is in the puddling all I can say is that I can hear the turbo on a D model turbo equipped truck. Now if that is not an imprvement I don't know what is.
I noticed that at cruise without laying hard into the throttle, about 50 mph, I literally could barely hear the exhaust.
When I made the truck work, it would talk a bit, but I know I could carry on a conversation in the cab at cruising speed.
Now I am seriously considering installing a 2 way radio in the cab. I know I could hear and be heard over the sound levels.

RL

SEAFIRE

We had to add mufflers as our guys couldn't hear the radios, etc with the engine running.

We used low profile straight through mufflers. I don't know the brand, our muffler guy got them for us.

We did re-route the exhaust M35A1 style, sorry don't have any pics yet. we gave these drawings to the muffler shop:

Attachments

fireman9

Looks good. Here is mine.
Walker muffler p/n 21470 $47.69(amazon.com)
Torctite 3.5" S.S. muffler clamps $18.06ea.(amazon.com)
7" exhaust stack clamp $21(ebay)

I used the BIG walker muffler(got it from Napa) on mine also... IT's WAY more quite than the dynomax race muffler.(I have a friend that has one on his truck). I have a "D" turbo which you can now clearly hear spool up when you on it... and spool down when your not. Steady driving nice and quite. Next thing to go it the radiator fan. BOY that thing is loud!
When the two trucks are side by side I can't tell mine is running, except for the squeaks and rattles.

I have turned up the fuel prior to the muffler add-on and I haven't noticed any increase of pyrometer temps either.

I know it isn't as pretty as the other and doesn't fit under the heat shield, but your ears and neighbors will thank you for it.

royaltiger1945

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a spray on coating like Lizard Skin or a product like it? Summit Racing's description says a 2-4 DB reduction and up to a 30 degree reduction in temperature. It is paintable and would allow original appearance I would think. Lizard Skins website is www.lizardskin.com if you want some more information on it. I am looking for ideas, experiences, or any thoughts as I have some farm tractors to rebuild this summer and I thought it would also apply for this category also. Thanks.

fireman9

I'd just like to share my experience with spray in liners. I had purchased a Jeep CJ7 some time ago and the prior owner had it Rhino lined. It does cut down on road noise greatly, However the prior owner also had a section of the rear floor replaced before spraying in the liner. Long story short... Everywhere moisture can get in bewteen the liner and steel it will causing massive rust problems. The liner was sprayed in correctly and wore like iron till the sheetmetal under it rotted away.
Ask me how difficult it is to weld and repair rust outs with a spray liner in place...
Have you ever tried to remove some of this stuff ?:-x Never again will I own anything with this stuff on it. Say what you want about carpet and rubber liners, they can be removed, power washed, and reinstalled with little effort.