• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler installation with db comparison

Heath_h49008

Ok... one MONTH to get the job done. (Seriously, it took 1/2 an hour and I was dawdling.)

I have video before and after with audio. I'm going to upload once I figure out which camera caught the best audio.

As you will see, I didn't shorten the pipe after I cut it. The extra 18"-20" doesn't look out of place, and the added benefit of the distance from the cab was huge. You can talk in a normal voice inside. For those who are concerned, I think I captured an appropriate amount of "whistle" even with the muffler. It just cut the high pitched chatter and pop out of the exhaust noise.

Heath_h49008

After....
http://youtu.be/i2D_f5yiPR4

Honestly, I think the sheet metal rattles louder than the exhaust, but the sound inside the cab was dramatically reduced. I'm just wondering If I'll get sick of the pipe sitting that high and cut some off.

I hope this helps folks on the fence.

The biggest take-away from this is how noticeable the whistle from the turbo is in the "Post Muffler" recording. The way sound works, only the loudest sound is really able to be picked up by the mic or the ear. The rest of the exhaust was muffled enough to clearly hear the turbo at idle.

Last edited:

3rdaavbn

I regret to say that I did not measure DB levels after installing my Dynomax. However, on the drive to Zout's last weekend, I was able to yell conversations with my two daughters which of course before was impossible.

TehTDK

Heath, might just be my hearing but I can't honestly hear that much of a difference on the before and after shot of the exhaust install.

dikwks

Just installed the Donaldson today. Thanks for the info and inspiration everybody. I had originally gotten the Napa equivalent ( it is listed as a resonator), but didn't like the way it was constructed. It was straight through and the body had sloppy welds that would have needed dressing. The Donaldson was cheaper from a local big truck place and it was built way better. Nice beefy metal and smooth welded seams. Man it made a difference in the sound!! No db readings, but it is a real noticeable difference. And no pics yet, it is still silver-ish. Anybody ever notice pyro temps higher? My temps seem to be a little hotter and climb a little faster. But lovin' the sound (or lack thereof) so far.

dikwks

Truck Enterprises in Chesapeake VA. It was cheaper than NAPA and it came in 4 days. Big truck places seem to be the ticket.

brianp454

ManufacturerPart NumberInlet OutletBody Dia.Body LengthOverall LengthPriceNotes
Aero Exhaust TurbineAT35353.53.561220 $ 100Straight thru design twist baffle, polished stainless
Aero Exhaust TurbineAT3535XL3.53.561826 $ 120Straight thru design twist baffle, polished stainless
Dynomax Race Bullet242473.53.551216.5 $ 70Glass-wrap perforated tube, stainless
Dynomax Ultra Flo172243.53.561621 $ 75Glass-wrap perforated tube, stainless
FLO-PRO Twister F4412883.53.541218 $ 60Spiral design
FLO-PRO Twister F4417883.53.541723 ? Spiral design
FLO-PRO Twister F5512883.53.551218 $ 72Spiral design
FLO-PRO Twister F5517883.53.551723 ? Spiral design
Flowmaster Pro Series135121003.53.561219 $ 150Straight thru design, stainless
Flowmaster Pro Series135161003.53.561623 $ 180Straight thru design, stainless
Moroso940523.53.541216 $ 60Straight-through baffled, steel
Moroso940563.53.541216 $ 106Straight-through baffled, stainless steel, olished
Patriot ExhaustH38403.53.5N/AN/A12.5 $ 36Insert, louvered core
Patriot ExhaustH38433.53.5N/AN/A11 $ 21Insert, auger design
Walker RV \ Donaldson? \ M0700503.53.571826 $ 50Perforated tube
Walker RV \ Donaldson21470 \ M0700283.53.573137 $ 50Perforated tube, Replaces Part Number M353570

welldigger

To clarify the aero turbine isn't a twist baffle like the twister mufflers and similar designs. It has an air foil shaped baffle. I don't know if that matters one way or another but the construction is quite different than most other mufflers.

Merc1973

To clarify the aero turbine isn't a twist baffle like the twister mufflers and similar designs. It has an air foil shaped baffle. I don't know if that matters one way or another but the construction is quite different than most other mufflers.
Can you post a video for sound?

Katahdin

I recently learned there's "now an app" for decibel meters, so I downloaded "Sound Meter' for my Samsung Galaxy S4 and fired up the deuce.

At idle, standing outside the exhaust stack, the Sound Meter dial fluctuated between 83 and 84 decibels. (C turbo muffled with the Donaldson M070028) I'm sure Sound Meter is not as sophisticated as a professionally calibrated sound instrument, but it does seem to confirm MO MV Man's readings on the Donaldson.

In the hard top cab, which I've stripped of foam while I'm refurbishing it, the sound reading also was 83/84 decibels. I plan to test again once I've reinstalled the foam padding, I have several GI ground pads on order for this.

bonedoc

I have to do some work on the muffler on my deuce. It works perfectly and makes driving much more pleasant. It was installed by previous owner and was told it was a Donaldson but I don't know which one. What I need to do is disassemble it and try to re-assemble it straighter. I'm hoping it is just adjusting the brackets. It leans back and is an issue as I want to install a snorkel kit and want to be able to brace it on the exhaust and don't want that to lean as well.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks