• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler installed

rmgill

OK, with an impending trip, I decided to get a muffler and get it installed for the trip to ease my ears. I purchased one of the walker mufflers that everyone seems to be using. Advance Autoparts sells them as does NAPA, however out the door, I was looking at $80 for one vs $48 from Advance. Both were shipping it in from a warehouse in Kentucky, but advance has a daily truck NAPA was going to charge me for UPS. So, Advance Autoparts got my business.

Before and After

Attachments

rmgill

The muffler comes slotted on both ends so you can slip it on over the 3.5" pipes. However, I was short a good 3.5" clamp and wanted to keep the cutting on the truck to a minimum. So I elected to weld a short portion of the cut off pipe to the top of the muffler so I could add the exhaust tip easily with out any other changes on the truck. This allows the use of the "v" profile clamp to pull off the tip if I need to reduce the height at all.

Attachments

rmgill

In speaking with Mark Elrod about this, he stressed that the muffler needed to be braced to prevent it swaying around, otherwise I'd get a cracked turbo or manifold. I had been initially thinking about bracing below the muffler, but decided to brace at the clamping point just above the fender with a off of the cowl bracket and clamp a strap around the muffler itself to the cowl bracket as well. This would support the muffler and keep it steady.

I clearly need to paint the truck as the mix of paints is just too obvious. :oops:

Attachments

mcinfantry

i keep burning all the paint off of mine in the center of the muffler. its weird because the usmc green burns off, to leave the red oxide primer. that doesnt burn off. i mean it burns off in about 2 or 3 days. of course, it IS turned up

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get some paint made for either headers or BBQ grills. Both should handle AT LEAST 1200 - 1500 degrees.

The BBQ paint only has a few colors while the header paint has a couple of dozen. I'm going to paint mine flat black, as that paint is available everywhere. And it looks like it belongs.

Ryan, how about an Advance part number? And what did you use to raise your AIR intake?? I really like IT a lot also. I noticed you painted it black. That's what I'm going to do to my muffler.

Hope that helps. jim

rmgill

wallew said:
Ryan, how about an Advance part number? And what did you use to raise your AIR intake?? I really like IT a lot also. I noticed you painted it black.
Actually, Advance can look up the same walker muffler part number. Seems to be VERY universal. The Air intake is just an exhaust elbow with a split in one end, fits the system perfectly. Its actually an off color of OD green. Today, I shot it with a touch of 383 green. Now I really want to repaint the entire truck. I'll probably start hitting parts of it with rattle can primer and green and do it in stages.

rmgill

Ok, this muffler s much quieter. I can hear other sounds from the engine compartment. I figure some insulation inside the hood and side panels will make this a much more quiet vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks