• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler madness

mudguppy

can you guys who have already done this post up and vids or sound clips? i'm kinda torn between the walker and the small size of the dynomax...

avengeusa

the dynomax does not sound too much different at idle, but i have not tried 55mph yet, later today i will give a report

avengeusa

Ok,

So here is the lowdown, the installation was a snap, er sawzall, hmmmm.

the neighbors and friends said it is quieter, i think it is, slightly better in town, takes out the bark.....

50-55mph it is still loud, i would say a 10-15 percent decrease in noise, but still loud, i did not have to yell at the wife for her to hear me, but i was talking with an outside voice

The wife said that she could hear me much better than before and did carry out conversation, she said it is an improvement, but i am thinking just a small improvement, no way a 50 percent noise reduction

I have a decible meter, i will get readings at 25, 35, 45, and 55 mph later, would have already but the batt died

I wish i had a walker to compare it to, and would have gotten decible readings while the exhaust was stock, maybee i can con derby into taking me for a ride in the duece dump he has to get a stock reading

I think the flap installation, the first mod done changed the sound ever so slightly

tm america

:-Di think the way you index the pipe changes the highway levels alot if you point it back you hear it more inside if you point it to the outside it lessens how loud it is inside with my dynomax i hear the motor not the exhaust at idle .its a big difference hard to compare levels without a meter but the fact that you can hear eachother while talking and not have to turn your head to them and yell shows a huge improvement .not sure about what its like with the other mufflers. you could put a muffler from a school bus on there but then you wouldnt be able to see if a school bus was driving next to you so would that really be an improvement in drivebility:?:a flapper might be a help since the noise would be going up not back at the truckit would be nice to try it both ways to see whats better

avengeusa

I have a flapper already, the bent part of the pipe is gone, the pipe height is also quite low, i am not unhappy that i did the swap, i may go to the walker later for kicks and giggles and measurements

tm america

try it out .also try extending the pipe that makes a big difference to anything that gets the noise futher away is a good thing.let us know what the meter reading is i'm happy with mine how it is i wouldnt want to to be to quite or look like its not factory.i have a flapper on my tractor and it anonouyesthe heck out of me cuz its always slaming back down

LanceRobson

Like others, I have a sound level meter that only records absolute sound pressure readings. However, my understanding is that hearing loss is more directly related to the pressure within specific frequency bands. The total amount of pressure can still be "OK" but your hearing could be being damaged within certain frequencies.

I've done some noise abatement work with a local outfit the has "octave band" test equipment. When I finish the project I'm working on now, I'll be adding the Walker muffler to my M35A2C . I'll see if I can get one of their guys to swing by for an accurate before and after test.

I think I read a thread hear where a member had this same equipment and had already done this.

Lance

saquishmike

I have both style mufflers and I have no scientific proof but the Dynomax 24216 is alot quieter and cleaner looking than the big walker. Both work well but my choice is the Dyno.

wdbtchr

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone with a 5 ton(LDS465-1A) tried adding a muffler. I'm waiting till I can put a pyrometer in before I mess with mine, but it sure would be nice to tone it down a little.

Kaptin kalen

I want to do mine. 4 wheel parts has a dinomax straight Thur diesel muffler no back pressure. What size is the exhaust pipe? it looks like it will fit under the cage around the pipe. Any help will be appreciated.;-) Kalen

yeager1

I have both style mufflers and I have no scientific proof but the Dynomax 24216 is alot quieter and cleaner looking than the big walker. Both work well but my choice is the Dyno.
Very interesting. Could you elaborate? Is the dynomax quieter all around or just full throttle? Which is quieter at idle? I'm looking at getting a muffler soon and looks are not much of a concern, just overall sound levels, but not just absolute sound levels.

FM5332FF

Ive been tossing around the idea of relocating my exhaust to under the body, but then again i love the look of the stack on the deuce, so im still tossing it around, Move it down or just use a 3 1/2 cherry bomb.

mudguppy

in my opinion, a cherry bomb or other type of glasspack won't last in a diesel exhaust. never tried it personally, just my thought.