• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler on a turbo

tsivey

Just got my M35A2 home. It has the Whites w/turbo and has a muffler on it. I haven't seen that before, not that I've seen a lot deuces. Is this okay or should I take it off? Thanks for any help anyone can give me, I'm new to the multi fuel engines.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a muffler on mine, and on the She Beast. They're both Multi's w/ turbos. No prob there, just less noise ;)

tsivey

She seemed a bit weak, and it would have been an easy fix to pull the muffler off. I have been driving 235 HP Cummings stuffed in a Dodge pick up.

Ragnarok

A fair amount of people on this site have a muffler of some kind, mostly just to have a conversation in the cab, or to not deafen any passengers they may have. But back to the main topic, I do not think it would have much effect performance-wise or even with EGTs post-turbo unless it was highly restrictive, and I do not know of anyone who installed one and then regretted it later for having said issue. I'm sure it would not be that much of an ordeal to swap out your included muffler with a 3.5 or 4 inch straight-pipe to compare how it feels, but seems it would be a moot point given the weight of the trucks vs. rated power and torque.

Jeepsinker

where is the muffler located? If it is under the
truck behind the battery box, take it off, it doesn't belong there unless it is a non turbo truck. Now if the muffler is above the fender just below the top stack section then it is just an aftermarket add on and is ok.

welldigger

Post a picture of it and see if you can find any brand or part numbers on it. I have a muffler on my turbo multi fuel. It really makes the truck much more pleasant to drive. Mine is also a flow through design. It doesn't add any back pressure.

tsivey

I will try to post some pictures and get the part number off of it. The muffler is about 30" to 36" tall. Thanks for the help.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even with a muffler you still need hearing protection because the transmission, transfer case, and axles all sing pretty loud at highway speeds. Below 45 MPH it's not too bad. YMMV.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She seemed a bit weak, and it would have been an easy fix to pull the muffler off. I have been driving 235 HP Cummings stuffed in a Dodge pick up.
14,000 lbs deuce with 140 hp vs. a 6000 lbs dodge with 235 hp , yeah it probably seems a little doggy. But try taking the dodge where the deuce was designed to go .

TMNT

I have a Dynomax straight through muffler on mine and it had no impact on EGT or power. The "weak" feeling could just be your perception as compared to the Dodge 1-ton, clogged filters, bad fuel, injection pump setup, or something else. Start with the simple stuff: fuel and fuel filters, and an air filter.

talskinyguy

I have the biggest and quietest muffler I could find that supported the air flow needs without too much restriction. I love it. I can now idle the truck in the driveway and it is no louder than my cummins dodge was. It has made my truck actually driveable as I hate vehicles or anything else being loud for the sake of being loud. I can hear the axles around 45mph now though but I don't consider that a bad thing, its just the next loudest thing and still so much quieter than the exhaust was.

Here is a picture for a size reference. It isn't finished being painted or completely mounted yet in this picture.
10014610_10152008355810823_1557605927_n.jpg

tsivey

14,000 lbs deuce with 140 hp vs. a 6000 lbs dodge with 235 hp , yeah it probably seems a little doggy. But try taking the dodge where the deuce was designed to go .
I hear you. Let me run though my ride home, all interstate, pulling an empty 1 1/2 ton trailer; 50 to 55 mph wide open on flat ground, maybe 60 down hill, and sometimes down to 35 on inclines. These speeds may be normal, and that's okay too just would like to know I'm not doing damage to my engine or the turbo from muffler back pressure.

TMNT

I hear you. Let me run though my ride home, all interstate, pulling an empty 1 1/2 ton trailer; 50 to 55 mph wide open on flat ground, maybe 60 down hill, and sometimes down to 35 on inclines. These speeds may be normal, and that's okay too just would like to know I'm not doing damage to my engine or the turbo from muffler back pressure.
Everyone has a different opinion on this and its your truck, run it like you want to but, if you're running your deuce that hard its only a matter of time before you send a rod through the block. The muffler is the least of your worries. If you're getting that kind of power and RPM out of the engine, its not suffering from back-pressure. That's pretty much the best its ever going to do.

Do you know what kind of muffler it is? Brand and part number? How about a photo of the muffler? Someone here can likely identify it. Do you have an EGT gauge?

welldigger

You know I'm not a subscriber to the theory that you must baby the ldt or never exceed 2200 rpm. I run mine at 2400 all day long. For every guy who breaks a crank or throws a rod half of them baby their engine. The other half pegs it to full rpm. So no one has yet to really prove how and why the ldt fails when operated within its designed parameters.

dmetalmiki

I have a good idea

You know I'm not a subscriber to the theory that you must baby the ldt or never exceed 2200 rpm. I run mine at 2400 all day long. For every guy who breaks a crank or throws a rod half of them baby their engine. The other half pegs it to full rpm. So no one has yet to really prove how and why the ldt fails when operated within its designed parameters.
How about run the engine at start up without any oil for half a minute!. All my trucks have pre-engine oil pressure pumps fitted. It's so satisfying (and anti-fretting) to see a start up at 60 psi. Pretty much vibration knock and noise free.
http://youtu.be/isLN4yulnWU

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks