• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler on a turbo

welldigger

I have spin on, anti drain back filters. Full oil pressure in 2 seconds. Not as good as a prelube system but good enough for me.

tsivey

Everyone has a different opinion on this and its your truck, run it like you want to but, if you're running your deuce that hard its only a matter of time before you send a rod through the block. The muffler is the least of your worries. If you're getting that kind of power and RPM out of the engine, its not suffering from back-pressure. That's pretty much the best its ever going to do.

Do you know what kind of muffler it is? Brand and part number? How about a photo of the muffler? Someone here can likely identify it. Do you have an EGT gauge?
I didn't run it wide open all the time on the 350 mile trip home. Most of the time it was more like 45mph. It took me eight hours to get back home with it.

Attachments

Reaper651

My Deuce is a non turbo right now, but when I install the turbo, I plan to keep a muffler on it. I will probably have to change a few things around as I want it to be 4" from the turbo to the end of the exhaust. Check out the Donaldson and Nelson websites. If I remember right, they have a chart on how big the pipes need to be to handle the CFM.

Same muffler I have and I love it. Took some getting used to cause I love the ldt sound but so nice when kids are in the truck to run to town..... no hearing protection required. If I was going for a long trip I would still wear ear muffs but it's alot better. I plan on swapping back and forth from muffler to straight pipe for truck pulls and mud bogs just for the good sound lol

tsivey

Thanks for all the help. I may try tuning up the pump after I get an EGT gauge. Another question I have, do I need a fuel pressure gauge? I have one on my Cummings to check that the lift pump is making pressure. The Cummings will run with a week lift pump but will act like the fuel filter is clogged and will end up burning up the injector pump "bad" this happened to me 900 miles from home.

Last edited:
You don't need one but you can run one. The tm says to use the ports on the filters to test pressure. Personally I'm going to run one cause I'm running alot of WMO and I want to watch filter conditions. I will be tapping off the bleeder port on the final filters or putting a T into the hydraulic head and taking pressure from there. I have a 120 psi oil pressure gauge and sending unit to use for the fuel pressure. Here is my gauge cluster

Attachments

welldigger

There are 2 "fuel pumps" that work in conjunction with the injector pump on the deuce. First is the in tank pump. It only builds around 5-7 psi. It's job is to prime the fuel system. Then on the side of the injector pump is the booster pump. It feeds the hydraulic head on the injector pump. It builds around 80psi. When the in tank pump fails you get one of 2 normal outcomes. You either never realize it because the fuel system never lost prime. Or the fuel system looses prime and you get a no start situation. A fuel pressure guage won't help much with that. But it will help you know when to change the fuel filters.

TMNT

That's a Walker straight-through type muffler, so no back pressure issues. Removing it would have no effect on power.

Is the safety wire still in the adjuster cover on the IP? Does she smoke much when she's pulling? What color is the smoke?

Your truck may be perfectly normal but you're not used to it, or there could be room for improvement. It's hard to tell that from the description given without more info.

From what you said about pulling a 1-1/2 trailer at 55-60, it sounds like your truck is making pretty good power for a deuce.

tsivey

That's a Walker straight-through type muffler, so no back pressure issues. Removing it would have no effect on power.

Is the safety wire still in the adjuster cover on the IP? Does she smoke much when she's pulling? What color is the smoke?

Your truck may be perfectly normal but you're not used to it, or there could be room for improvement. It's hard to tell that from the description given without more info.

From what you said about pulling a 1-1/2 trailer at 55-60, it sounds like your truck is making pretty good power for a deuce.
Good to know the muffler is a non issue.
I didn't see any smoke when I was on the highway, the outlet on the stack is out of my vision. When l would make a rest stop it was making a little white smoke at idol.
The only time it would get close to 60 was going down hill. It would make 55 on flat ground wide open, I tend to drive by ear, 55 did not "sound" safe as in she was going to come apart. I made most of the trip at about 45.
I guess what was bothering me was that any incline was taxing on the engine. I was seeing 35 a number of times. Is that normal? If so, I'll get used to it.

tsivey

Good to know the muffler is a non issue.
I didn't see any smoke when I was on the highway, the outlet on the stack is out of my vision. When l would make a rest stop it was making a little white smoke at idol.
The only time it would get close to 60 was going down hill. It would make 55 on flat ground wide open, I tend to drive by ear, 55 did not "sound" safe as in she was going to come apart. I made most of the trip at about 45.
I guess what was bothering me was that any incline was taxing on the engine. I was seeing 35 a number of times. Is that normal? If so, I'll get used to it.
At speeds down that low pulling small trailer, I think I'm really going to piss some folks off when I'm pulling a 10,000 pound trailer.

EWhytsell

45's a good cruising speed for the deuce and even empty a normal deuce will slow down going up a hill. Also a good idea to stay slow going down. The brakes can work great, but aren't good at being used continuously like modern brakes. Not sure about anyone else, but I notice the brake fade coming down from 50 and wouldn't want to have to stop quickly while going down a large hill. Be safe

tsivey

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I may have found one issue, I'm sure there will be more, I think the parking brake may have been dragging. The cable is froze at about 1/2 engaged. Installing new cable tomorrow.

TMNT

When I first got my deuce 3 years ago, I had the same question about power. My truck would get to 55 on flat ground, but I didn't feel comfortable with that based on what I had read and based on the sound of the engine. On almost any hill, I had to drop to 4th and sometimes 3rd. And that was empty with no trailer.

After months of research and thinking, I installed an EGT gauge and started turning up the IP. The difference was amazing. A deuce is not going to win many drag races, but mine will now pull that "3rd gear" hill in 5th at 45. EGT goes up to 1000 degrees and she trails a bit of black smoke.

I don't think you're ever going to tow a 10,000 pound trailer up a hill at anything better than 35MPH, but you may see some improvement by turning up the fuel. Search the forum for details as there are many threads on EGT gauges and IP adjustments.

tsivey

I'm working on getting the truck legal right now. To pass inspection they're making put clearance lights on it, I think he is going to let me get by with no cab lights since it has a soft top. But, once I get the legal stuff done I think the EGT will be my next project. Well maybe filters and fluids next and then EGT.

Yup get a pyro and turn that fuel up! I have mine cranked pretty good and it's a new truck now. Pulling out in first is almost stupid but I do it anyway. I can't wait to get my 14.00r20 on and actually keep up with traffic on the highway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks