• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler The MEP003

rickf

It already has a muffler. The noise you are hearing is not exhaust noise, it is engine noise. The fan, generator and the fact it is a diesel just make it noisy. If you stand in line with the exhaust outlet when it starts you will see that the exhaust is rather quiet.

PeterD

Ah, but what if something happened to his muffler? :?

To answer the OP's question, a muffler is unlikely to hurt anything, but as Rick says it may not help either.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those mufflers are stainless steel. I doubt anything happened to them...unless they were broken or vibration got the best of them.

3dAngus

Mine has some stainless steel hose for about a 12' or so run away from the generator to reroute the gases, heat, and noise. I was thinking about dropping them in a large tub of water, but not sure how the back pressure would play with the MEP003. I'm afraid it might overheat. Outboard engines on boats have the noise reduced by about 85% by porting the exhaust underwater, but that is part of the design. I love these screw on extension cables though. Does your exhaust have threads on the outlet pipe?
I'm just wondering if they all take a stainless exhaust hose for rerouting, or if it might be particular to the Laundry Unit I got my MEP003 on.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the exhaust is really very quiet. the noise is because it is an air cooled diesel and does not have the water jacket to hide the fuel knock.

tom

mrwrench55

The main reason I wanted to muffler it was to run it in my Shed and run a 2.5 in. manifold like through the wall with Flex pipe and heat sheld and stand up the muffler outside on the wall with a flaper on top. Sound like a good Idea??? Id love to find a ASK for it too or plans to make one !!:grin:!!

Last edited:

3dAngus

They make a set of sound baffles for the Mep003. Mine are in a special rack over the top and on the right side. Three baffles to each side slide in the rack side by side to meet the length of the MEP003. Someone on this site said the baffles get dirt filled and clogged sometimes due to weather and other considerations I guess, so you should inspect for quality well, or they won't do much good.

I know mine help. You might be able to fabricate something to help keep the sound down, otherwise it might run you out of the shed, if you ever had to access it and do any work. Is the shed itself going to be the baffle? Will you be working in it at the same time? No indication how big the shed is.

rickf

I think you ought to run the pipe and then start the generator without the muffler. I think you will surprised at how quiet then exhaust is. Just go with a pipe and a cap. Now inside the shed you will need serious hearing protection. Also make sure you have adequate ventilation for the cooling of the generator.

Rick

coyotegray

They make a set of sound baffles for the Mep003. Mine are in a special rack over the top and on the right side. Three baffles to each side slide in the rack side by side to meet the length of the MEP003. Someone on this site said the baffles get dirt filled and clogged sometimes due to weather and other considerations I guess, so you should inspect for quality well, or they won't do much good.

I know mine help. You might be able to fabricate something to help keep the sound down, otherwise it might run you out of the shed, if you ever had to access it and do any work. Is the shed itself going to be the baffle? Will you be working in it at the same time? No indication how big the shed is.
"Baffles"..?

nopics

Walt4653

I put 2 mufflers commonly know as resonators and it just helped control a little noise. Most of the noise is probably due to the diesal ( sound of clicking and clanking of the actual motor), what really quited it down was a 5x8 box with front doors and roof that is hinged to my garage next to transfer switch. Top raised and front door open you could have some what of a conversation a few feet away, and probably lose about 50% of the noise. Or bite the bullet and some one might have a enclosure for sale. In front while running about the same or a little quiter but on side big difference.
pointed opening toward woods so it would not hurt my neighbors.
walt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks