• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mufflers For M1009

tklm539

I have been reading and the general opinion seems to be that the 6.2 would not be harmed and likely be helped by a "free flowing" exhaust.

Ok, part two, what is a free flowing exhaust? I thought my stock one was free flowing as the fumes freely flow out the tail pipes.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a free flowing exaust. Is this just the muffler and what are the benifits?

Finally, (if it is the muffler) can the stock ones be cut out (good excuse to put the sawzall to work) and new ones be clamped in?

Thanks
Tom

ida34

An engine basically works like an air pump. Restriction in the exhaust system makes the engine work harder to expel the spend gases. Also the more time the exhaust spends in the pipe the hotter it gets it. Basically a free flowing exhaust is designed to provide a minumim amount of resistance to provide for a more efficient engine. Most of the time the whole exhaust is replaced as the stock exhaust is not the most efficient. Mufflers can be cut out and replaced without replacing the pipe. The pipe connections on the muffler go around the exhaust pipe so you must carefully split the muffler pipe while not messing up the exhaust and tail pipe. You can also rent or buy tools to reshape the pipes as when clamped they sometimes distort.

CCATLETT1984

for free flowing exhaust on a non-turbo cucv, i would recommend upsizing the pipe to 2.5" duals and install your flow-through mufflers of choice. anything larger than 2.5 inch pipes is a waste.

maritimer

i wewnt the cheap easy route, seeing as how my stock mufflers where rotted through i had them cut off and cherry bombs installed. believe it or not the cab got a tad quieter LOL

mangus580

A 2.5" exhaust for a 1009 will probably have to be custom made.

Also.. .i have a BRAND NEW COMPLETE exhaust for a 1009 if anyone needs it!!

BigB84

I know installing aftermarket exhaust headers and a cat back system on a gas v8 like a chevy 350, makes a significant difference in performance and mileage. I don't know very much about the 6.2's in the m1009's. Is it evern worth the time, effort and expence of a set of headers on this type of motor, or should one just stick to the 2.5inch exhaust and free flow muffler? Does extra intake air compliment the reduced restriction of a 2.5in exhaust system?

mangus580

Re: RE: Mufflers For M1009

CCATLETT1984 said:
diesels dont meter the air going into the engine, you always pull the same amount regardless, so its not necessary to change the air intake system.
Actually, this statement is wrong. The intake system on a stock 6.2 is VERY restrictive, and may be a bigger source than the stock exhaust. A diesel wants to breath. Open up the exhaust, you really need to open the intake, and same the other way.

FWIW, headers will help, but as stated above, they arent worth the financial outlay.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Mufflers For M1009

Ken here on the site, says drill a bunch of holes in the housing, to allow more air to reach the filter.... I presume there are a lot of ways to handle it.

tklm539

OK, I am starting to get it.

Is there any advantage to replacing the factory mufflers with two Cherry Bomb #87096. Or is it better to leave the factory muffler on until it is spent?

Tom

AJMBLAZER

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/364830/2

That's exactly what I did with the exact same mufflers. Heck, for $45 and possibly some cutting tool blades you can justify just doing it now. The stock mufflers aren't free flowing by any means so hey, spend the cheese on the mufflers if that's all that needs replacing. I noticed a little bit of a "seat of the pants" power increase after installing mine. Nothing tremendous but it's there. Totally worth the $45 and time.

Now when I have to replace actual major components of the exhaust system I'm going to put in a single 3" exhaust. A single 3" will flow better than two 2.5" not to mention be easier to run, cheaper, and weigh less.
The guys over on the 6.2-6.5 diesel page have mentioned that any exhaust system meant for a similar style GM pickup with a 350 gasser will bolt onto our trucks.

just did mine...

before i left on vacation i replaced the pipes on the m-1010.a local muffler shop made complete dual exaust from scratch.i went with duals without a crossover,in 2.5 inch diameter.as mentioned,any bigger is a waste of money.the stock 6.2 simply dosn't flow enough exaust to justify a larger pipe.Mufflers are a tough choice...lots of people who go with flowmasters complain of a drone.i think they chose a muffler thats too small.

i think the largest size you can fit would be best.i went with a 70 series r/v flowmaster.two of these will give plenty of flow,and i noticed very little change in the cab sound level...certainly louder,but no irritating droning.i do,however,have the ambulance body to absorb some noise.Your neighbors will really notice...the flowmasters will give your 6.2 a healthy sound.really healthy.

When your done that,the next gain to be had is the intake...imop, anything that will give you a cold air intake is best.it dosn't have to be very big...the standard gm punch-plate location in the core support,is more than big enough.this is assuming you can engineer a way past the batteries.I really notice a dfference when the under hood air temp gets to hi...things get really sluggish on a hot summers day.i intend to move my batteries to the back of the truck to make room.

AJMBLAZER

RE: just did mine...

Just remember the thing about a cold air intake is that if you plan on hitting any water of any appreciable amount the cold air intake becomes a direct route to the insides of the engine. Ask me how I know this...

AJMBLAZER

RE: yup...

Yeah, just a lot of folks confuse snorkles and cold air intakes and then problems can ensue.

Hell, water and a low compression engine isn't good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks