• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mufflers For M1009

AJMBLAZER

RE: yup...

Run it through the firewall and into the air intake channel for the HVAC between the windshield and the hood. Not as water proof but better than most stock setups.

Mike_Pop

So what would be the best way to increase the amount of air to the engine? Living at higher altitudes causes a loss in power and mileage for me. Would changing the exhaust increase power and mileage?

AJMBLAZER

The exhaust will help some but don't expect a huge gain or anything. There was a small seat of the pants increase with mine so it was worth the $45 I invested into it.
This is also why I'm not going to invest a couple hundred or more into a single 3" until I need to replace pipe and/or major components of the exhaust system I have now.

My plan for the air intake is to probably do something like the TBI K5's did and run the intake into the fender. However I'm not sure if they have tubing running through the fender from the grill area or not. You just want to get cold air into the engine and at least as much of it as the stock intake can suck in that warm engine bay.
If I decide to go hard core I'll probably either make a Land Cruiser snorkle fit or run something up through the grill in front of the windshield.
There's some good knowledge about this stuff over on the 6.2-6.5 Diesel forums.

jag7720

Strange, I brought this up and it was concluded that opening up the air filter was not worth the effort? Did I miss something?

mangus580

Re: RE: yup...

jag7720 said:
Strange, I brought this up and it was concluded that opening up the air filter was not worth the effort? Did I miss something?
I may have missed where you brought it up :)

it's hot...

opening up the air filters assembly does help flow...but it just flows hot underhood air.it won't help much, imop...gotta feed it cooler air.getting it from the grill under the windshield is a good spot.ever drive your cucv in rain?notice that there is a portion of the hood where the water is actually pushed forwards away from the base of the windshield...it's a built in high pressure zone.there's a reason that Nascar racers have tapped the windshield base for an air supply for years.the faster you go,the more pressure you get.cold air AND a small amount of boost.(assuming your intake ducting is properly sealed).The cucv's tall,blunt windshield makes lots of pressure in that area.More pressure,i think,than the regular grill intake port.

i've thought of doing this myself,but can't get past the "cutting a hole" part.The regular intake point at the grill is already there,with a built in punch plate,just ready to be popped out...so why not use it? it's certainly worthy of an experiment though.i think the best spot would be in the firewall,right in the middle of the windshield,directly behind the air filter assembly and just above the glowplug resistor pack.some sort of intake grill would have to be devised to deal with bugs and leaves,as well as the excess rain water that flows in that drainage area at the windshield base before it gets to the filter.

mike-pop...the only real effective way to address issues at high altitude is a turbo.normally asperated 6.2's,with there meager redline, can only flow so much...thats just the way it is.the exaust mods would likely help your egt's a lot though.

AJMBLAZER

RE: it

The thing I don't like about the dieselplace idea is that, like I mentioned above, if you get into deep water or just a whole lot of water you can suck it right in with a cold air system like that. If your truck is 100% street driven, lives in the desert/arid region, and/or you're REALLY careful about water and when/where you drive your truck you should be okay.
I had a setup like that on my '92 Blazer K1500 and the first watery mud hole I hit it sucked a bunch of water right into the air intake. Luckily K&N's are pretty water repellent when they are well oiled.

Jeep TJ's and YJ's have a small mesh grill over their cab air intake as well as a water drain/trap. Only problem is sometimes the water trap will clog up and then the water backs up into the HVAC ducting in the cab.

Jim_Rockford

flowmasters are the worst flowing muffler out there, that is why so many folks get bad drone. dynomax ultraflos or hooker aerochambers even the super turbos outflow the best flowmster and is cheaper.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Since our beloved CUCVs are considered heavy emissions and dont have EGR, we are ahead of the game. Intake mods are nearly a must. Grab some scrap air cleaner housings and add a second snorkel to the factory air cleaner. This is a huge improvement over stock and can be made to look stock

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks