• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule M-274 A-5

borky51

I have a 1970 Mule that i have been working on repairing all the leaks and seals, What type of grease go's in and around the steering knuckle on the front wheels. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Charlie

DO NOT PUT GREASE IN THE DROP AXLES! Should be 90 wt or 85-140 gear oil. Use of grease will lead to a failure of the drop axle gears and bearings.

borky51

Just so it is clear to me, the kunckle with the 5 ball bearing only gets 90 wt or 85-140 not grease what so ever, I saw a video where a guy had pack the knuckle with grease thats why I asked. I was also told that I could use CV axle grease. The manual that I have was not very clear on what I should use Thanks so much for your help. Borky51

6x6guy

Thats why thay put the drain hole at the lowest point- to drain the 90 wt- and refill it again, other wise thay would have sealed the lower unit and have no access.

Charlie

When I'm replacing dust boots and have everything clean, I will pack a small amount of grease on the axle joint, just to make sure it gets lube, but to fill the housing, I use 90 wt gear oil. Also, if you have installed new boots, make sure to go back and check the oil level later, as it will fill the boots as you run it and will be low in the drop housing.

Grega

I acquired an a-5 few months back and in the process of installing new tie wires on the boots because the old ones slipped off and were dripping lots of oil. When I was putting everything back together I used lots of wheel bearing grease on the cv joints. Am I good or should I disassemble, whip the grease off and apply a small amount of maybe something like cv joint grease. I want to make sure im doing this right. THANKS Also thanks Charlie for the o-ring kits. Those spring pins are hard to find.

Last edited:

borky51

Thanks again-now everything is clear. You guys are great-the info really helped me understand what and how I should make the repairs on my mule. I do have one more question. My mule ran really bad so I took the mag off and checked the alignment on the fly wheel and the mark on the mag gear. The marks were 4- teeth off. I matched them up and it really runs good but seems a little slugggish on the high end. Any suggestions ? I have to check the timing yet-that could be the problem.

Charlie

Grega, you'll probably be OK with the grease on the axle joint, I assume you just gave it a good coating. Next time you run it and get everything warm, drop the oil out of the drop axle housings and refill with gear oil.

borky51, I usually retard the mag one gear tooth, 4 seems a little excessive. If you turn the engine over by hand, you should hear the mag click, and the arrow in the crank pulley should be halfway between the 28 & 18 degree mark on the belt guard.

borky51

The Mag was set that way when I bought the unit. I will try reseting it off by one tooth. When I got the mule it would not Idol down at all now it idols great and I can set the carb. Thanks again. borky51

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hub roll pins are a "weirdo" size, no hardware store I ever went to had them. I had to order them from Dave Kelone a few years back.

borky51

Is their anyone out there that would have an extra steering wheel laying around or know of anyone that would be willing to sale one for my mule. M 274 A-5 If so please call 262-347-8711

Grega

I ordered my spring pins from Fastenal. Part # 0165874. Took a week to get them to my local store. Had to order a package of 100. But only cost my $9.64 with shipping and tax. You may be able to order them online but shipping may be more

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks