• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule tire changing?

135gmc

A tire shop is the easiest, but if you want to do it yourself, place the old tire/rim flat on the ground, place a 2x12 that's about 5 ft long on the tire (close to the bead), then drive up the "ramp" until the bead is broken. You can do the same for the other side of the tire. Once the bead is broken, getting the tire off and on just becomes a case of prying with some tire spoons. The tire shop is still the best solution, though.

Also rememeber that now is the easiest time to install new tubes.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just changed my tires this week . I purchased a HF Tire Changer which worked OK taking the old tires off , but I bent the tire bar attempting to put the New tires on and started to rip a bead . I then went back to tire irons and LOTS of tire lube , but started to nick up the aluminium rims to much , ended up at my buddy's tire shop , and he had the 4 tires replaced before I could get back from the coffee run ! go figure . With NO RIM damage I might add . What tires did you get ? I got mine from Universal Tire at the Aberdeen show . They have 2 styles , the original balloon style or the thinner style , both very nice tires . I went with the thinner variety and it came out great . I also installed new tubes . Be aware that the 2 style tires take different tubes . IMHO , tire shop is the way to go .:tank: bob k

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not drive onto a board to break the bead. The rims are aluminum.

Go to a tire shop.

How bad are your old tires? I'm looking for a set for an oddball project. PM me.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Once the bead is broken, you just need a "tire spoon" to work the tire and tube off the rim.

I used to have access to a machine. I broke the bead and spun the tire off like a normal tire, being careful not to damage the tube. Our machine was just barely able to retract it's feet far enough to grab the rim and it was still tricky, as too much force would pop the wheel off the feet.

When mounting, do not think that by putting the valve stem in the wheel hole and by holding it, the tube won't spin. You'll just rip the valve stem off the tube. Trust me. aua

IMAG0102 %5B640x480%5D.jpgIMAG0103 %5B640x480%5D.jpg

You need to break the bead, then work the tire bead off the rim. Once you have the front or top bead off, you can fish the tube out.

Make sure the rim doesn't have any abrasions or it will cut the new tube.

When installing the new tires, I work the bottom or rear bead over the wheel, then I fish the tube into place and mildly inflate it just enough for it maintain some kind of shape. Try to keep the valve stem near the hole in the wheel, then work the top or front bead over the lip of the rim. You may find it necessary to depress the tire and reach inside and find the stem and fish it into the right position and through the hole in the wheel.

If you have a local lawnmower shop and they're not idiots, they should be able to do this quickly and easily.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
""When mounting, do not think that by putting the valve stem in the wheel hole and by holding it, the tube won't spin. You'll just rip the valve stem off the tube. Trust me.""

Clinto when your mule got its first set of new shoes I whacked one tube just as you said. The old tires had been on there since it was made I think. Nasty tires to replace for sure.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
""When mounting, do not think that by putting the valve stem in the wheel hole and by holding it, the tube won't spin. You'll just rip the valve stem off the tube. Trust me.""

Clinto when your mule got its first set of new shoes I whacked one tube just as you said. The old tires had been on there since it was made I think. Nasty tires to replace for sure.
Well, I surely appreciate all your hard work, because all the tires have been really easy to dismount.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks