• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule Tranny Making Noise

LifeLongWNYer

I'm looking for some advice on a Mule tranny. I'm in the process of buying my first, and looked at one yesterday that is in pretty good shape, and definitely is a "usable" Mule, but need work. For example, if you hit the brakes hard, they don't release without playing around.

It drives well, but in second gear, ( in both high and low range ) the transmission makes a unusual noise. It is hard to describe, but is a repetitive "tinging" sound, which varies with the Mule speed. First and high are fine.

So:
1. Is this fixable? I am suspecting YES, depending on the next question
2. Are parts available?
3. Is moving this vehicle under it's own power likely to cause more damage? ie: are there "parts" loose and circulating in the transmission that are likely to get wedged in some place that will tear the gears up?

The vehicle looks like a fair deal otherwise, I'm wondering how high a hurdle this tranny problem is.

Thanks for you time,

JBP

oddave715

Call John Emory. He should have the parts you will need. And he is a knowledgable gentleman. 262-567-5605. I believe this is his number. If not please let me know and I'll make sure to post the correct number for you.

Last edited:

InsleyGuy

For some reason the SS mule forum is not real active. Try the g503 site. Chuck W. has a transmission overhaul tutorial with lots of pictures. You will find that John Emery is the go to parts guy. Good luck, Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks