• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel Automatic Transmisson?

BadMastard

I don't know if anyone answered the allison tranny question, but I believe you will have to have engine data going to the transmission for it to operate. As far as making the A3 a manual, oh don't we wish! It's a lot better behaved with the 395's on it though. Still not a speed demon, but cruises at 55 pretty well.

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
did anyone every do this swap i have a customer looking to put a automatic behind his deuce he is a older vet and he has a bad arm so the shifting is really hard for him so if anyone has any info on a automatic that will work so i can pass it on to him that would be awesome
thank you

jdknech

did anyone every do this swap i have a customer looking to put a automatic behind his deuce he is a older vet and he has a bad arm so the shifting is really hard for him so if anyone has any info on a automatic that will work so i can pass it on to him that would be awesome
thank you
I thought about this with my deuce.. a allison AT545 with 395s would be able to maintain 55mph.. but the length might be a problem.. the tranny in a deuce is pretty short.. if you need measurements from a AT545 let me know, I have one that i removed from a international in flavor of a eaton/fuller..

Jeepsinker

The LDS465-2 installed in the 8x8 five ton trucks did have an automatic transmission behind them. From what I understand it was an early Allison product and it worked in conjunction with a special injector pump that would refuel the engine as the trans shifted so it didn't break the trans or burn clutches. The design for the trans was sold to the British military and is now classified. Go figure... Because transmissions are such dangerous things you know...

rustystud

Not 100% on this but I thought that it has been said the trans in the A3 is electionic.?. It would be had ($$) to mode that to a muilt. That is not to say that you could not get a different auto to go behind the muilt. On another note I thought (not 100%) that they (military) tryed the auto out of the M135/211 in the M35's. Don't know if it was the reo or the muilt.

Now remeber I'm not 100% on this and I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn last night:wink:
The Allison transmission in the A3 is not electronic. No AT540 series trannys where. That also applies to the MT600 series and the HT700 series.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LDS465-2 installed in the 8x8 five ton trucks did have an automatic transmission behind them. From what I understand it was an early Allison product and it worked in conjunction with a special injector pump that would refuel the engine as the trans shifted so it didn't break the trans or burn clutches. The design for the trans was sold to the British military and is now classified. Go figure... Because transmissions are such dangerous things you know...
Just to confirm what Jeepsinker said, he is 100% correct. The design for the TX200-6 Allison transmission was sold off to the UK for their FV430s and is under strict regulation from international sale. The LDS465-2 pump was unique and truly irreplaceable even if you had an A1 model IP. I know where an Allison transmission is in good condition but it isn't cheap, I've even called Allison and they said they can still service it despite regulations. :D

quickfarms

I have researched the mechanical Allison's and the ones that I have found have a 1:1 final drive, no overdrive.

To get an overdrive in an Allison you have to go to an electronic transmission. This would require some custom parts to mate the electronic trans to a mechanical engine.

rustystud

I have researched the mechanical Allison's and the ones that I have found have a 1:1 final drive, no overdrive.

To get an overdrive in an Allison you have to go to an electronic transmission. This would require some custom parts to mate the electronic trans to a mechanical engine.
Yes, all early Allison's have a 1:1 final ratio . They came out with overdrive when they went to the "World" transmissions. All electronic. They found it was easier to control ratios better, just software updates. As far as mating up the new style tranny to an older non electronic engine it's pretty easy. You just need a pedal sensor, an electronic tach, a brake sensor and of course the tranny "ECM" unit.

painter paul

Correct me if wrong. I needed a AT1545 for a customers M35a3 and thought about using an AT 545 from a Chev school bus with a 366 v-8 in it. I found out that it would not have shifted because the shift points for a gas v-8 would be so high that the diesel would never rev high enough to get it to shift. I found 2 used AT1545's and used one of them ( especially since the Allison dealer quoted me $6250.00 to rebuild the old AT1545). I still have the other used takeout AT1545 for sale if anyone needs one. Thanks , Paul

rustystud

Correct me if wrong. I needed a AT1545 for a customers M35a3 and thought about using an AT 545 from a Chev school bus with a 366 v-8 in it. I found out that it would not have shifted because the shift points for a gas v-8 would be so high that the diesel would never rev high enough to get it to shift. I found 2 used AT1545's and used one of them ( especially since the Allison dealer quoted me $6250.00 to rebuild the old AT1545). I still have the other used takeout AT1545 for sale if anyone needs one. Thanks , Paul
You could have used the AT545 but you would need a valve body dyno to set the shift points. You could try it by yourself but by the time you finished adjusting and installing the oil pan and oil and checking and adjusting again, repeat until done, you would save yourself money and LOTS of time by using the valve body dyno. It can be done though.

HanksDeuce

With my Cummins 5.9 + Allison AT545 swap the only things that are electric are the starter, alternator, and the fan clutch. I converted the shutdown solenoid to use the factory mechanical pull cable.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about this with my deuce.. a Allison AT545 with 395s would be able to maintain 55mph.. but the length might be a problem.. the tranny in a deuce is pretty short.. if you need measurements from a AT545 let me know, I have one that i removed from a international in flavor of a eaton/fuller..
The length IS a problem... According to the link provided in post#27 the AT545 measures 27.2", from its SAE#3 bell-housing face to the output flange; vs. the Spicer with only 21.86". That difference is about half the length of the jack-shaft in between the Spicer and the T-case...

G.

Last edited:

rolling18

Sounds like it would almost be easier to just start off with an A3 and swap the motor to a Multi!! lol
you could prolly sell the cummins to cover the cost of the multi...hmm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks