• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel engine intercooler

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K&N's RU-3260, which is what fits the deuce with MINOR modification flows 1130 CFM clean. Probably a little less when dirty, call it about 900 cfm.

So, flowing more air is a good thing, right?

Bjorn, if you were closer, I'd love to loan you mine for this test. Of course, I paid about $40 for mine with tax. And it is the last filter I'll purchase for my deuce.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=3983&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, get a low pressure gauge on ebay! They are listed all the time, keyword "magnehelic". They go for less than $10 usually and are calibrated in inches of water, cm of water, pascals, psi or other.

Simply run a plastic tube from the air filter canister to the gauge and you are good to go.
I even got a mounting bracket in one deal (see image above).

The capacity of the filter is one thing that should be matched to the engine requirements, but the restriction at a certain flow rate is what makes the difference.

This is my understanding: A higher air flow rate will lower the EGT, permitting more fuel to be burned, which in turn equals more power. So if there is enough air for the fuel to burn without exceeding an EGT of 1,200 F, then more air wouldn't do anything unless the fuel was turned up also.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
I am on ebay right now. What should I look for as far as the amount 'measured' goes?

It seems that most appear to be 2 inches of water or less. Isn't that too low to measure what we are attempting to measure? This type stuff is new to me, so speak s l o w l y for this old guy.

What do you think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-VALVE-MAGNE...597795093QQcategoryZ42932QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe this one would be better as it measures up to 40 inches of water?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DWYER-MAGNEHELI...598180796QQcategoryZ55825QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thx for the info.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll say, keep looking, you need to be able to see the reading while driving so a full scale of 10 inches of water should be good or the equivalent in cm of water, which would be about 25 cm of water full scale.
My readings were all below 20 cm of water.

BTW, the Magnehelic gauges can be connected to read pressure, vacuum or differential pressure. There are 1/8 NPT ports for all these options.

rice

Just a comment. When you have to drill a hole where you can't catch the debris at the end. Fill the grooves of the drill bit with stiff grease and run the drill at slow speed. It will catch almost all of it.

Katch1

crane truck you are correct, the more air flow, the lower your egts will be, and the more fuel you can pour to it, =more ponies . But you also have to expell the same amount that you have gained in the intake, otherwise you'll have a bottleneck on the other end, at least at wot. How much will the deuces exhaust flow may be the next question. I've always been told whatever gains you make on the intake, have to be matched on the exhaust side

rdixiemiller

Bjorn
Try removing the mushroom from the intake side of the filter hsg. I'd bet the perforated metal screen is restricting the flow some. You could also drop the filter canister completely and clamp on a K&N to check restriction from the canister itself. You would need to hook up your Magnahelic to the intake tube somewhere to check that out.
I think I have a 0-10" magnahelic at work in my junk box, I'll have to check.
I was already getting ready to sandblast the screen section on my intake mushroom, it has many layers of paint closing up the holes. Maybe drill them out a little, as long as I don't allow dirt daubers to get in.....

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
One thing occured to me. I wonder how much difference the altitude will make. I don't know what your altitude is there in VA, but here in Denver, it's at least 5280 ft above sea level. OR MORE.

So will the thin air here affect the readings? Just curious.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim: Take some readings and let's compare! I'm at 3,000 ft btw.

Robert: I honestly don't think the screen could have much effect on anything except perhaps small birds.
Almost tempted to run without a filter....sombody talk me out of it!

rmgill

No filter will let more dust and dirt in the engine and mean a sooner overhaul because of wear on all the bearings and other parts.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
Let me get a meter and we will compare.

And about that not running a filter but just a screen. I ran my Harley for nine years WITHOUT a foam filter. The filter that HD recommends and sells is a screen with a foam ring that's soaked in oil. I IMMEDIATELY pulled the foam ring off.

After NINE YEARS of running my HD that way, I NEVER had any problems. NOW, if you run through a 'cloud' of bugs or something, you might want to pull over and clean it off, but other than that, I NEVER had any problems. Besides, all I was trying to do was keep that LARGE pieces out of the engine.

Just my .02 as usual.

jim

OR, you could try a K&N. You might be surprised and pleased. Or not.

Bigmillman

Very good thread! The MF unit is pretty much maxed out in the stock form. What about putting a five tonner donaldson on the fender for BIGGER CFM? Looks nasty, IE cool as heck, and available.:-D

stumps

is vacuum measured in inches of water or mercury? thought it was Hg?

Just saying that your vacuum might be even great than previously thought.
Scientists measure small pressures in mm of mercury, which, in a fit of stupidity, was renamed Torr. Prior to mm of mercury, inches of mercury was the standard. HVAC people work in inches of water, which works out well for the pressures that normally exist in ducting, and the differentials that occur across filters.

In all of these cases, the pressure is a measure of the ability lift a column of water, or mercury. Water is much lighter than mercury, so it takes a 34 foot high column to measure the pressure of our atmosphere, where as it only takes a 30 inch column of mercury to do the same.

-Chuck

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have been thinking about making custom 4 valve heads for the MF, but they would be VERY expensive. at least then you could probably get up to the 400 hp area.......

tom

kc5mzd

So to cool the intake air on a MF engine the quickest most effective mod would be to put in a 160-170 thermostat?
I run coooler thermostats in everything here in Texas. I have found a 170 thermostat in Texas will run around the same temp as a 190 thermostat anywhere north of I40.
I think I will have to find a source for cooler MF thermostats before next sommer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks