• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multifuel injection pump overflow valve

will-m

How would I go about checking out the IP head? I just did some reading that suggested that advancing the timing may lead to shorter engine life so I think I'd rather avoid that.

Thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it could only be checked with the whole pump assy off the engine and at an injection shop, and then i doubt you would get a satisfactory answer. as long as it starts i would live with it until it gets worse or you find a new head on ebay for $200. you might want to inquire about having yours rebuilt. (just the head part)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
will-m said:
My deuce has always been been a slow starter and I've decided that I wanna try to take care of it. I've always suspected that it was fuel leak back, because other then starting the truck runs great, has good power, no excessive......
So your problem is just that it's "slow to start"...

1) How often do you start it?
2) Run the in-tank pump for a minute or two while bleeding the secondary/final filters. Air here will make it slow to start.

As a side note, don't run the starter for more than about 20 seconds without letting the starter cool for a minute or so, no point in burning up the starter motor in the process.

will-m

cranetruck, Yes by slow starting I mean that the truck takes 10+ seconds of cranking and you have to work the throttle to get it to catch. I've read alot of people on here say how fast their trucks start which is what lead me to believe that my truck may be in need of some PM. Changing out the overflow valve did improve starting some but I'm still only getting about 10 PSI while cranking. I normally start the truck at 1-2 times per week (not counting restarts after the initial cold start) I will try running the intank pump and cracking the bleeder at the final filter and see if that helps. Shorter starter life from all the cranking was one of the reasons that I had wanted to figure this out. Thanks again

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10 seconds isn't all that bad, depends on ambient temp too.
The TM will state that if it doesn't start after 3 each 20 sec long cranking periods with a minute cool-down after each try, have you engine checked for a problem. You are nowhere near that.
Do the filter bleeding anyway, before trying to start it next time.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just took my valve apart and it seems like there should be a check ball in there at one end. I have shims and the spring but no check ball, can anyone tell me if it sounds like its missing something? Thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to my TM, the overflow valve spring free length is supposed to be 1.0000 inches long and compresed by a 4.55 to 5.05 lb force to 0.8400 inches.

Maybe the shims are a sub for a new spring......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks