• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel Longevity

Miamirex

Hello, new to the forum. Does anybody have an idea how many miles you can get on the multifuel engine? What's the most you have seen, thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I just picked up has almost 60,000 on it. It starts right up and pulled strong going past 60 on the speedo.

emr

I have heard and seen em at boat yards, and hear they are awesome boat motors , they run at 2500 rpm basically forever i understand...Randy

YankeeDuece

There have been many threads on this site about filte- adapters and other various ideas that update the oiling-filter system.

I currently use the Jatonka spin-ons that are availabe in the classified section or on his website: www.jatonkasm35s.com. Do a search in the forum and you will have all the answers on why, how, and how much.

Well worth the investment.

BTW, I just installed his primary fuel-filter adapter kit. Now I will not get drenched by changing an element by myself, nor need a friend to turn the top-nut

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think most people on this forum don't understand diesels. this is shown by "strong going past 60 on the speedo."
max speed is 56 mph and is on the data plate for a reason. just because the high idle of a diesel is, say, 2900 rpm does not mean it can be operated at that rpm. the operators manual states that max rpm is to be used only for brief periods when you need max power. the multi is designed for sustained operation of no more that 2600 rpm.

saddamsnightmare

May 11th, 2008.

I concur with Bottleworks above, get JATONKA's spin on filter adapters, which prevent oil from leaking back to the crankcase, and with oil in the bearings at start, they should be good for 500,000 miles! rofl

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare"
??? M105A2 Trailer, Johnson Mfg. co.
1967 MEP23A Hercules Gas Generator set
1963 Swiss Army Unimog, Cargo Version, S404.114 Mercedes Benz.

emr

I agree and it just makes sense, running a multi over 2500 rpm is just abuseing the motor and one will end up with what they are doing to it...But it will last amazingly long very well built motors @2500rpm ...Randy

dabtl

My experience and mine only, is that frequent changes of oil keep diesels happy.
Your experience may differ.

But, not having oil pressure for a 1/4 of a minute is a really bad way to treat a diesel engine.

Short of putting in a pre-lube system, the jatonka filters work best for instant pressure. I do not mind the frequent oil change, as I may start using that as fuel. :D

And I also endorse the primary spin on adapter. Easy to change and easy to service.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got a set of jatonka's spin on oil filter adapaters, for an engine that had 37 miles on it (now has 620 miles on it thanks to the ECC and the Aberdeen rally). I can't wait to put them on my truck. I look forward to getting a set of primary and secondary filter adapters as well.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m-35tom said:
i think most people on this forum don't understand diesels. this is shown by "strong going past 60 on the speedo."
max speed is 56 mph and is on the data plate for a reason. just because the high idle of a diesel is, say, 2900 rpm does not mean it can be operated at that rpm. the operators manual states that max rpm is to be used only for brief periods when you need max power. the multi is designed for sustained operation of no more that 2600 rpm.
I know enough about a diesel to know I was only doing it once and it was a sum total of about 10 seconds. If I trust anyone's opinion on what a diesel engine can or cannot do it would be my Brother who has been working on them for over thirty years. I have had diesels for over 7 years now and I'm not a neophyte either.

One of my favorite quotes about manuals from Airport (the movie)

Assistant: The instruction book said that was impossible!
Joe Patroni: That's one nice thing about the 707. She can do everything but read.

Funny thing is my Deuce can't read either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks