• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multifuel piston question

need some help guys ! whats the overall opinion on small hairline cracks on the piston, near the swurl? I have 2 pistons that I know for sure that have very fine lines that a # 2 pencile makes a thicker line than the width of the crack. the lines are about 1/4" long at most and only 2 lines jetting from the swurl. Replace these or run it? what are the thickness of the center piston on the multi, and will this get worse over time if left in? Thanks for your time and opinions...

Boatcarpenter

Bjorn, I've been searching TM's for what they refer to in the above post as the repair and rebuild standards for the main bearings and rod bearings. Found all about how to do it but never found the numbers. Any help? Thanks

FreightTrain

Banned
I live by the rule....NO CRACKS!Small cracks turn into BIG cracks quick.Like a windshild.If the engine is apart already change those pistons and sleeves.Cracks are BAD in Any motor from a 1.1L Yugo engine to a 465 multi-fuel.

derby

I agree,no crack is good crack! You will have less work fixing it right than being stranded in the middle of nowhere.It is always easier to order parts from your warm garadge than on highway BFE from a lonley guy's phone named Ed. :shock:

red devils dude

I just want to throw in my 2cents I have now pulled apart two Multifuel's mine and a near by farmer's both
had about 1400hours on the clock and both had these hairline cracks on the piston near the swirl both
had stock fuel settings so I think this is a standard wear problem.