• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multiple projects on the Deuce

redmudjeep

I have learned so much already from researching on this site and reading other peoples experiences with their projects. When the weather warms and it is not raining or snowing I will be diving into my projects on the Deuce. I thank everyone in advance if they have any suggestions or pointers before I start.

Since purchasing the Deuce in November, I have found multiple projects that need to be addressed prior to tagging and driving. The engine crankcase is overfull and smells like fuel. So, I need to address the issue of it "Making Oil". I have a new seal kit for the Mechanical Booster Pump. I need to purchase a kit for the IP so that I have new gaskets. I am also trying to figure out what to do with the Fuel Density Compensator. I know the usual thing people do is bypass it. But is there a way to reseal it if it is leaking? Or, is replacement the only other alternative? I located a NOS one for $210.00. A bit expensive for something that can be bypassed. At this point with the IP am I better off just rebuilding it? I would like to find one that needs rebuilding so that I do not have to leave the engine apart for any length of time.

I am also having a problem with idle. The truck does not idle (warm or cold) unless the throttle cable is pulled out slightly. This was a good thing to begin with because the Engine Stop cable was broken and the engine stop lever was seized in the housing. That is fixed and now I am trying to figure out why it won't idle. I have tried to search for engine idle issues but have not had any luck finding the same issue that I am having.

The brakes are the next issue, the pedal goes to the floor. There aren't any leaks visible at the axles. So, i decided that I would replace or rebuild everything. I was able to find 6 NOS loaded backing plates for very cheap. I will also be replacing all the steel and rubber lines. That should fix any break issues. I was wondering has anyone tried to retrofit a M35A3 master cylinder to the stock Deuce mounting location and add a second airpack? It seems the Master cylinders are available from Bendix. Just not sure if this is an option.

Thanks again, Mike

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He needs the dual master cylinder. Clintogf has only the single master cylinders. Peashooter can help with most of your brake questions on the dual system.
The link I posted is the correct master cylinder for his truck in the stock form ( he never mentioned what his truck is in this thread ). If you re-read the last line he ask about converting to a split system [ quote ; I was wondering has anyone tried to retrofit a M35A3 master cylinder to the stock Deuce mounting location and add a second airpack? It seems the Master cylinders are available from Bendix. Just not sure if this is an option.]

If you read his other posts you will see he has a
1969 M35A2C (
My first Deuce )

Also if you read 2nd paragraph he asks about replacing the fuel density copmensator , which indicates he has a multi-fuel (M35A2 ) not a Caterpiller motor in a M35A3.
[ quote ;

The engine crankcase is overfull and smells like fuel. So, I need to address the issue of it "Making Oil". I have a new seal kit for the Mechanical Booster Pump. I need to purchase a kit for the IP so that I have new gaskets. I am also trying to figure out what to do with the Fuel Density Compensator. I know the usual thing people do is bypass it. But is there a way to reseal it if it is leaking? Or, is replacement the only other alternative? I located a NOS one for $210.00. A bit expensive for something that can be bypassed. At this point with the IP am I better ]

Last edited:

rustystud

It seems the Master cylinders are available from Bendix. Just not sure if this is an option.

Thanks again, Mike[/QUOTE]

This is why I posted about Peashooter. It seems he "was" asking about the dual system.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems the Master cylinders are available from Bendix. Just not sure if this is an option.

Thanks again, Mike

This is why I posted about Peashooter. It seems he "was" asking about the dual system.[/QUOTE]

Well I posted a a very reasonable priced option for a NOS master cylinder which is correct for his truck to assist him in getting it on the road. There are a lot more parts to converting to a duel master system than just adding a air-pack as some parts are very rare . Also clinto is working on making a kit to upgrade to a split brake system but is needing to borrow the "unobtainable mount" to see about having them fabricated cost effectively for the kit.

I need to borrow an 87-89 USAF dual circuit master cyl. mount temporarily

Last edited:

peashooter

I was wondering has anyone tried to retrofit a M35A3 master cylinder to the stock Deuce mounting location and add a second airpack? It seems the Master cylinders are available from Bendix. Just not sure if this is an option.

Thanks again, Mike
Hi Mike, yes I have seen a member do this before and thought it was a good idea assuming you have the tools and skills to make the modifications. HERE is a thread that shows what was done.
Currently the only really tricky part to find to do a dual circuit brake conversion is the master cylinder bracket from the 87-88 air force deuce trucks. Everything else can be bought new and or used quite easily, (although not always inexpensively).

redmudjeep

Hi Mike, yes I have seen a member do this before and thought it was a good idea assuming you have the tools and skills to make the modifications. HERE is a thread that shows what was done.
Currently the only really tricky part to find to do a dual circuit brake conversion is the master cylinder bracket from the 87-88 air force deuce trucks. Everything else can be bought new and or used quite easily, (although not always inexpensively).
I guess my question in reference to adding it, is can the dual circuit master cylinder be mounted in the original master cylinder mounting location. If so it would be just making the correct length rod and adding the extra air pack, air tank and rerouting lines...etc. No need to modify or have a new bracket made if this is possible. Does anyone have experience with attempting this? I am trying to determine if this is worth buying the master cylinder and attempting to retrofit it to the original mount. I figure with the years of experience on this site someone has thought about trying this or even attempted it.

peashooter

I guess my question in reference to adding it, is can the dual circuit master cylinder be mounted in the original master cylinder mounting location. If so it would be just making the correct length rod and adding the extra air pack, air tank and rerouting lines...etc. No need to modify or have a new bracket made if this is possible. Does anyone have experience with attempting this? I am trying to determine if this is worth buying the master cylinder and attempting to retrofit it to the original mount. I figure with the years of experience on this site someone has thought about trying this or even attempted it.
No they are completely different designs and mount in different positions and directions. The only way to make a dual circuit master cylinder fit is with a different bracket. This goes for both the M35a3 setup, Dual circuit A2 setup, and the various custom hydroboost/hydromax setups.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
edit wait there I have to go look somewhere

done

Here go look in here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...conversion-to-M35a3-dual-circuit-brake-system

View attachment SMARPI9-2320-209-14P.pdf

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks