• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Murphy strikes again!!!!

AMGeneral

Well,I just thought I was free and clear after buying wreckerman's M915,but evidently "murphy" had a delayed reaction.

I was getting the truck ready for the trip to VA on wed evening to finally pick up the other M172A1 in Blackstone VA but,Murphy had other plans.

While driving the truck to it's parking space,I get a loud BANG and the truck immediately drops down on the pass side.

Needless to say,the tire split from the rim all the way to the tread,so it's down till the tire store is open tomorrow AM.

This probably won't be cheap.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This probably won't be cheap.
What did you do to make "Jessica" mad at you.

I'm sure Mr Murphy called ahead and told them to give you the "lube up special".

I suspect the red paint on the tires was an indicator that it was time to replace them.

At least it happened at low speed close to home.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better that it happened at home, at low speed. Can you imagine what that would have been like at speed, with a load?
While I am here, does the Military have a pretrip inspection for the vehicles before driving them?
How many MV owners do a pretrip, or even know how to do a pretrip?
Or do you just get in a drive?

AMGeneral

I agree,it was better here vs having to call a tire service along the road.

BTW,my personal pre trip inspection is as follows.

Check all fluid levels(everything) and note any leaks.
Check belts,hoses and underhood electricial wiring condition.
Check all tire pressures,including the spare and look for any odd wear and objects.
Check all lights(head,tail,turn,stop and B/O).
Fire the engine and check for correct oil press and note any odd noises and smells.
Make sure the 5 gallon can is full on the running board and make sure I have at least 2 extra fuel filters,a set of belts,and 1 gallon each of engine oil,gear oil,and a tube or 3 of grease,plus 5 gallons of drinkable water(for me or the engine).

This is for any trip over 30 miles,any trip less than 30,omit the 5 gallons of fuel and water.

All this plus the ovbious tools and spare parts.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good pretrip. Do you check the tire with a gauge, or just "thump um".

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geeeze Brandon!

I supposed you weren't planning to go today, as I hadn't heard anything. If my back is better, I may go with you on Wed. if you want.

Glad it was something 'simple'

jasonjc

The -10 for the truck has a PMCS ( Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services ) list. That will walk you thought ever thing you need to look at befor, during and after driving the truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what happens when someone puts a Sumitomo tire on a US military truck. Your 915 has probably been trying to pop that one for a long time.

AMGeneral

Geeeze Brandon!

I supposed you weren't planning to go today, as I hadn't heard anything. If my back is better, I may go with you on Wed. if you want.

Glad it was something 'simple'

Yeah,still waiting on permits and the state of NC,I plan on leaving about 5PM on Wed evening and getting an early start on Thurs coming back,you're more than welcome to ride along.

AMGeneral

I blame NO ONE but myself ,but that being said,$300 later I now have a NEW steer tire for the 915($3300 for a set of tires:shock:).

Now i'm back to waiting on the state of NC to make up their mind whether or not they wanna allow me to tag this truck,then I can get the permit and be on my merry way.

NC law states that you must provide documentation a proper saftey inspection BEFORE they will issue a tag of any kind ,Then it is faxed to Raleigh and they decide if you get a tag or not.

Which means you either drive your vehicle illegally to the inspection station or purchase a permit from the DMV to drive said vehicle to the inspection station.

Kinda messed up Huh?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks