• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Museum to private ownership questions

Sikorsky502

Ok, so I've found some APC's and other vehicles that a museum has, but wants to sell. They said they can't sell to a private person without demilling. Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a way around this? I'd really hate to see these things get scrapped if myself and others could buy them and take care of them in private hands

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they have these concerns, the items are on loan from the Center of Military History, and can only be transferred to another accredited museum. Non-CMH items are bought and sold all day, for instance the Littlefield auction.

Sikorsky502

Just spoke with the museum guy. They're a private 501c3 museum, but the equipment came from the donation program. So it would need to go through the crazy government regulations to be turned in or transferred to another museum.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So isn't your real question, "How do you form a 501(c)3 museum that does on location displays?"
Unless it is your life's ambition to have a military museum, don't form a half azz museum just to get armor from Uncle. They are requiring accreditation, ADA access, regular hours, on and on.

Sikorsky502

It's a hassle to have armor on "donation" from the military. It's actually easier to get something from a museum on a base because they have an exchange program that can release equipment in trade to a private individual. The museum has 2 m113's and they don't need 2 of them. I'd really love to get an m113, but it would suck to have to have an inspector come look at it annually. The vehicle I actually called the guy on was an m578. Thought it would be cool to have one of those too. They do have 2 m60's and an m107 that aren't government controlled and wiling to sell/trade, but tanks really aren't my thing. I like APC's more and a recovery vehicle is always useful.

Sikorsky502

He was going to speak with the museums board of directors and see what they would like to do with some of this stuff. I'll keep everyone posted on any developments. Sounded like they were more willing to want to trade though, but cash could get them a new piece also.

KsM715

So let me see if I have this straight? A private museum has non demilled (sp?) armor that they got on a donation from somewhere but not the government. And they think that they can't turn it back into the government without all kinds of paperwork and red tape but they can trade it to an other museum without having to demil it? Are you trying to find away to get this armor without having to plug the barrel and cut the breach? That ain't going to happen. Just buy it and demil it.

Sikorsky502

No. It's a private museum that has 2 m113's and 2 m578's that they received from the army through the "donation" program. Those have to be accounted for. They have 2 m60's and 1 m107 SPG that have no connection to the government and they are free to do with them as they wish. They are more apt to trade anything than sell it though. The original question was is there a way for a museum to not have to turn in equipment that is no longer needed back to TACOMabd instead either sell or trade or donate to a private individual. If the equipment is turned back in to the army it is very likely that it will either end up as scrap metal or blow up on a range somewhere. I would rather see the vehicles saved and enjoyed rather than destroyed.

datadawg

No. It's a private museum that has 2 m113's and 2 m578's that they received from the army through the "donation" program. Those have to be accounted for. They have 2 m60's and 1 m107 SPG that have no connection to the government and they are free to do with them as they wish. They are more apt to trade anything than sell it though. The original question was is there a way for a museum to not have to turn in equipment that is no longer needed back to TACOMabd instead either sell or trade or donate to a private individual. If the equipment is turned back in to the army it is very likely that it will either end up as scrap metal or blow up on a range somewhere. I would rather see the vehicles saved and enjoyed rather than destroyed.
If they museum can't sell it without government approval, can they lease it? If so, sign a long term lease and you can then use/possess/control the item without "owning" it. The other question is, can they borrow against it and use the armor as collateral? If so, lend them the money on a nonrecourse basis (means they do not have personal liability), and have the loan secured by a UCC filing on the armor. Two months later, when they don't pay, do a UCC sale and foreclose their ownership. Crafty way to own something without them actually selling it. Of course you should run this by a lawyer and have the loan or lease docs drafted by attorney. This way, you are relying on legal advice if something goes wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks