• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mushroom size deuce vs. 5 ton

rdixiemiller

Anyone know the size of the 5 ton Cummins air filter mushroom? I am curious if it is bigger than the deuce unit. Just a wild idea, maybe put on a bigger mushroom, mounted vertical. That would involve opening up the air filter canister to accept a bigger elbow than standard.
I figure if I am going to put on a K&N filter, I might as well see about opening up the air intake. Don't really know if it is necessary, but what the heck.

DrFoster

If it will save you money, you don't need a "bigger" filter unless you're constantly in the dirt for hundreds of hours without pm'ing the filter. The filter can flow like 1200 cfm or something, and the engine only needed a fraction of that even at full boost and throttle.

Wallew has a K&N and he has a thread on how-to. Good read. It is speculated that a K&N or similar filter might make the turbo spool faster.

Hope that helps!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, I PROMISE to pick one of the Magnahelics up. But right now it is just 'down the list' a ways. I've still got all sorts of rubber gaskets and rubber hoses and other bits and bobs that need to be replaced. One thing at a time.

When I do get a magnahelic, I'll record with the 'stock' filter I got with the truck (Napa Gold). Then record with K&N. THEN record with NO filter, just the mushroom.

I'll get it done in a while. Sorry. But I WILL eventually get it done.

Besides, I've gotta purchase a DB meter first. I've got some insulation installation to do both in the cab and in the engine compartment - especially the hood, then jute in the cab, then rubber flooring in the cab. I'm hoping to cut noise down by half. I also want to install a muffler. Recording the DB's the whole time. Writing down EXACTLY what happened after each mod. Then writing a little ditty for here.

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As always, there is no rush on these projects. Making measurements and recording the results is the only way to make improvements and/or getting an understanding for the equipment and why it was done the way it was.
I have been "playing" with my 2-1/2 ton toy now for over ten years and trying to make the deuce into what it really can be without compromising any of its original design goals (I think I can say that).
Many of my "records" have been published in Military Vehicles Magazine as articles. They are all unsolicited except for the "maintenance" article, which was done upon request.

Jim, if you are of the same mindset, perhaps you should go ahead and have your "records" published also. You are a much more competent writer than I will ever be, so those articles should of great value and interest for everyone.

I have a website (www.mayapplebrandstedt.com), which tells about some of my projects, but for now biodiesel related mods and upgrades are in order for the old deuce.

I'd like to be able to measure the NOX content of the exhaust, for example.

Glad you like the soap Gary and thanks for the kind words Jim.

Later,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks