• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Must hold "MODE" button to move

XCRV

Just bought our first military vehicle, a 2000 M1079A1 LMTV 4x4 Van Truck. GP says "The mode button must be continuously depressed for the drivetrain to operate in forward only" and "front driveshaft has been removed."

Any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. It's located in Fairbanks, Alaska. Anyone know of a good mechanic/shop in the area?

http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/860503?h=345-22,21791&reloadCode=close,860503,1493835014825

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's awd, there is a diff in the transfer case, and with the front shaft removed all the power is shifted to the spinning yoke to the front. In mode it locks the center diff and splits power 50/50 front and rear letting you move.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If it was "trans needs to be in mode to move" I would say driveshaft. Its specifically "mode must be continuously held" and I have seen alot of the wtec3 keypads go bad.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Strange that it's pulled like that. I looked at the pics. Fuel filter dated 2005 that truck wasn't used much. Clean truck. Could have had driveshaft pulled for towing. You should be able to press mode, the mode light stay on and drive off the rear axle only. No need to hold the button continuously. Could possibly just be a mistake by the listing individual. Keypad looks good. I would bring 2 new u joints they are inexpensive. Water can get in around the running lights above the windshield and drip onto the keypad. Over time it can get in there and cause issues. Hard to know till you are there though.

XCRV

Wouldn't the 2000 LMTV M1079A1 have an Allison transmission MD3070PT? (Model number from MTV manual dated September 1998.)

I don't know how hard it might be to get a keypad quickly in Fairbanks, AK. Might take one up there just in case? A local (TN) parts guy says there's more than one part number in his system for the WTEC3. I found 29538371. Does that sound right?

Part # 29538371, SMR code PAOZZ, Cage C 73342
from Army TM 9-2320-365-24P dated August 2005, section II, page 111-1
(LMTV parts diagram book downloaded from SS, page 311 in PDF)

XCRV

Wouldn't the 2000 LMTV M1079A1 have an Allison transmission MD3070PT? (Model number from MTV manual dated September 1998.)

I don't know how hard it might be to get a keypad quickly in Fairbanks, AK. Might take one up there just in case? A local (TN) parts guy says there's more than one part number in his system for the WTEC3. I found 29538371. Does that sound right?

snowtrac nome

pacific power products is your road oiler and Allison dealer in the state of Alaska and can be a supply of local parts. if you want I used to know of an Allison only independent rebuilder in anch the man was real sharp on allisons I can do some looking around and see if he is still in business or if he retired.

XCRV

snowtrac nome: I called Pacific Power Products in Fairbanks (thanks for info). They don't have the keypad in stock but have two on order. It's $1077. The guy in Anchorage would be great except that's pretty far. I'm looking into a used keypad. Found one with a short warranty.

Lionel: Thanks for the kind words. We are really excited about this new adventure.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I need my anch contact info anyway last time I spoke with him was better than 15 years ago at the time he had the only dyno in the state to test Allison transmissions.

XCRV

UPDATE: We talked to the GP inspector in Alaska (very nice guy, BTW). He said the "mode" button does not have to be held down, just pressed once. He thinks the truck is in good shape and will probably be fine once the front driveshaft is reinstalled.

We are having tremendous grief getting insurance but that's another thread.

coachgeo

front driveshaft is potentially off for a reason. I'd suggest having it inspected and renewed before attaching and driving with it far. Or ship a new one up there nearby and attach the new one. While front may not create as much of potentially catastrophic damage to tranny due to vibrations via a damaged or unbalanced shaft as the rear can.... it is still an issue best to be avoided.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I still cant believe you are getting in this thing and driving from alaska to tn. Can you get a transport or temp reg somewhere? You will need it at border crossings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks