• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Must hold "MODE" button to move

XCRV

Suprman: I found a SS sticky note saying don’t start insurance threads so I won’t. I don’t want to upset the moderator but, if allowed, this might save someone several hours of research and calling:

RV insurance was our first choice since it will be converted to a rather plush overlanding vehicle. We also tried MV, personal and commercial truck, etc. Part of the problem was our LMTV not being 19 years old.

Insurance companies and agencies I contacted who would not cover our 2000 S&S M1079A1 (to be registered in Texas): AIS, Blue Sky, Condon Skelly, Farm Bureau, GEICO, Good Sam, Grundy, Hagerty, JC Taylor and Texas Specialty. State Farm was a "probably not.” Sky Blue was a maybe.

The very first agency I contacted tried Progressive and could not get past the "non-conventional VIN" number. Most places said "NO!" before even getting to the VIN. Eddie Smith in Cleveland, TX was able to call and get Progressive HQ to approve our application.

Regarding the long drive back to Tennessee— we planned to visit Alaska next summer so our trip just got moved up a bit! Will fly to Fairbanks, explore for a few weeks/months then might take the ferry part of the way back (maybe Skagway to Bellingham?).

XCRV

Coachgeo: We'll take it to a shop in Fairbanks to get it looked over and change the fluids and filters. I'd sure like to hear the history on this truck. Not just the driveshaft story but why does it only have 1359 miles? And how in the world could it have cost Uncle Sam $230,363? That's WAY more than other M1079s I've seen on the GP "sold" list.

snowtrac nome

if this rig was a ng rig or reserve unit it would likely have sat in a long term storage state to be brought in once a year for cleaning and service. things like susv's and hmmwv's get used quite a bit but the larger stuff only moves a couple times a year.

coachgeo

When I talked to my transmission guy.... he said when in mode the Tcase drives the rear thru gears..... While in the other mode it is thru clutches. Therefore in mode with only rear shaft attached there should be in my humble worthless opinion, no issues with driving it..... but it will be slow without being able to reach beyond 5th gear. But far as I know this is untested. Allison did not even test this... that test tidbit comes straight from the horse's mouth via folk at Allison Corp. when I called and talked to them directly about driving with a driveshaft removed.

Last edited:

zoti

Suprman: I found a SS sticky note saying don’t start insurance threads so I won’t. I don’t want to upset the moderator but, if allowed, this might save someone several hours of research and calling:

RV insurance was our first choice since it will be converted to a rather plush overlanding vehicle. We also tried MV, personal and commercial truck, etc. Part of the problem was our LMTV not being 19 years old.

Insurance companies and agencies I contacted who would not cover our 2000 S&S M1079A1 (to be registered in Texas): AIS, Blue Sky, Condon Skelly, Farm Bureau, GEICO, Good Sam, Grundy, Hagerty, JC Taylor and Texas Specialty. State Farm was a "probably not.” Sky Blue was a maybe.

The very first agency I contacted tried Progressive and could not get past the "non-conventional VIN" number. Most places said "NO!" before even getting to the VIN. Eddie Smith in Cleveland, TX was able to call and get Progressive HQ to approve our application.

Regarding the long drive back to Tennessee— we planned to visit Alaska next summer so our trip just got moved up a bit! Will fly to Fairbanks, explore for a few weeks/months then might take the ferry part of the way back (maybe Skagway to Bellingham?).
Why are you registering in TX? and if you don't mind, what was the cost of insurance per year?

XCRV

Like many full-time RVers, we use Texas for our legal residence. They have no state income tax and are very RV friendly (can renew driver's license online, absentee voting by mail, etc.) Escapees, the national organization for full-time RVers, is headquartered in Texas for this reason. Our mail goes to a Personal Mail Box at Escapees Mail Service then we have it forwarded once or twice a month by Priority Mail to whatever campground or post office we want.
https://escapees.com/

PM sent regarding insurance question.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks