• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mutt Purchase Help needed

frank1669

I am going to be looking at a running driving Mutt on Monday ( thats the only description I got so far.) . I know nothing about them. so my questions.

how do you spot a re weld?

were are they prone to rust?

What are the most crucial spots to look at. I am capable of fixing anything mechanically wrong with this, But my body work skills are marginal. The unibody scares me a little. I don't want to buy a problem I can't Fix ( I will be purchasing it as a gift For My 2nd Dad.)

the asking price is $1500 is that a good price if body is solid?
Thank you in advace Jerry

poppop

If it was cut in half it will be welded just in front of the seats. Mine is real obvious because metal was welded over the cut. They were bad to rust so check the under body support beams for rust through. You can buy a kit to weld over them if its bad. I did not know that when I got mine and I welded 2 inch flat bar on them to reinforce them. The floors and battery tray are other bad spots. If its not a total rust bucket that is a great price. I have seen nice ones bring 3 or 4 times that and restored ones bring over 10 grand and higher. Parts are plentiful.

vtdeucedriver

Oh wow for $1,500 I would be careful!!!!! Unless you found the Holy Grail of M151's, it will probably be cut and have some rust issues. The 1/2 cuts were usually along the center of the tub to where the X cut was 1/4 to 1/4. You need to look at the frame rails that go fore and aft, then look at the cross member where the rear A arms attach at the fwd attachments.

This evening go spend some time looking at pics on the www.g838.org for pics of rusty unibodys. You REALLY need to look the tubs over good!!

AIE1

Frank1669, attached pix of the underside of a 151A2 for reference, like poppop stated welds where cut should stand out and be fairly easy to see. Note the rails on this tub, most 151s rot around and through the rails, but rust can be found anywhere on these jeeps. There are rail enforcement kits still available, but they are getting pricy. Also I have seen floor panels on ebay and other sites. Look close at the suspension arm attachment points for rust. To me that price would be a deal for a non-cut and not to much rust. Good luck on that jeep!

Attachments

frank1669

AIE1 If I can get the top of a Mutt to look half as good as the bottom of yours I will be happy. And thank you to everyone for the Help . I will let you know how it turns out.

cobra5

frank1669,

I know I'm way behind on this but how did the deal work out for you? Where in northern Idaho are you located? I live south of Missoula. I restored an A-2 and have an A-1 torn down so I know alittle about these vehicles.

majorhitt

With all said about where to look for the re-weld, If it is a re-weld look for the wiring harness at the cut area. What shape is it in? You know it had to be cut, but did the previous owner do a good repair job or a Buba job? If Buba had something to do with it, your job to make it right just became a little more fun.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know it had to be cut, but did the previous owner do a good repair job or a Buba job? If Buba had something to do with it, your job to make it right just became a little more fun.
There were alot of mutts that weren't cut.

majorhitt

OOPS I should of said "" If you know it was cut"" I owned several MUTTS only one was cut, The others were lucky. I still have a 1969 M151A1 uncut. Again the one MUTT that was cut the previous owner left the wiring harness a mess (right where the torch cut it). Sorry If I didn't make myself more clear.

m816

I have two M151a2 s Neither one is cut. NJ title for one and the other is just waiting to be restored. They both have rust through the floor boards but it is repairable . TMJ Murry sells replacement floor panels for the outrageous price of $70.00 each. But I will probably spring for them or have them made locally. I am amased at what guys are asking for even non running mutts. I thought my first restored would fetch around six thou but I see some going for above ten thousand . I'm gonna hang on to both of them. They are fun to drive. I like the a2's better than the a1's. Definately more stable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks